4

"Feyre!"

The voice hissed into the darkness. I stilled, not moving or making a sound. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness enough to see a large figure hunched down in front of my cell. My eyes narrowed, but I couldn't make out anything more than their silhouette.

"Feyre, it's me," they whispered. It took a few blinks more for the voice to register in my head as Tamlin's. I scrambled across the cell, hands latching onto the bars, my chest feeling ready to break open when I smelled his scent.

See? Rhysand had been wrong. He was trying. He'd come for me. He'd been biding his time much like I thought he had. I'd known he wouldn't abandon me so easily. He loved me. He would save us all, I knew it. Relief flooded my body, and I sank down onto my haunches and wept as I felt his broad and calloused hands wrap around mine, sharing some of their warmth.

"You came," I whimpered.

"Of course, I came," Tamlin whispered back. "Amarantha has me on a tight leash. It won't be long before she notices I'm gone even now." I knew I had been right. Rhysand was Amarantha's sidekick, just torturing me in his own ways to see how much fun I'd provide. The bastard had a new thing coming if he thought he would fool me again.

"I love you," I cried, my tears cold as they streaked my cheeks. I felt like all I'd done lately was cry. I cried for all I'd lost and all I'd had stolen. The tears seemed to pour from a never-ending well inside my body.

"I love you," he said curtly. I blinked. "You need to listen to me. You have to stay away from Rhysand. Don't let them use you as a pawn in their games, playing jealousy tug of war with you. Rhysand is sick. He killed my mother and father and left me weeping in their blood on the floor of our home. These are things I always meant to tell you but could never find the words or the time. But you must hear me now. He is evil."

Cold fear seeped into my bones, registering what I'd done. I'd danced on top of him, nearly kissed him or worse, all while Tamlin had been watching. Guilt was a lead anchor in my stomach, and I didn't know if I could find the strength to get back up again. How had I been so wrong, so confused?

"Oh, Tamlin, I'm so sorry," I said, my voice cracking. He had to know, had to understand. I'd never meant to hurt him. I was disgusted with myself. I'd been so easily tricked.

"Feyre, stay away from him," Tamlin repeated. "I have to go, but I had to tell you that. I'll find a way to get us out. You just have to trust me." I bit my lip nodding. Tamlin looked at me for a moment longer, a hand reaching through the bars to caress my cheek before he was gone.

I sat there, alone in my hurt and confusion. It made no sense. If Rhysand only wanted to hurt me, why had he fed and clothed me? Why had he ensured my chores were done properly and allowed me the only reprieve from my cell that I'd found yet?

—--------------------------------

It must have been hours later when a lantern entered the dungeons, its light such a stark contrast to the consuming darkness that it made my eyes sting. I blinked, barely able to open them properly as the shadow twins appeared outside my cell.

"No," I growled. They looked at one another, confused as to why my demeanor toward them had suddenly changed. "I will not go wherever it is he wants me."

"Miss-" Cerridwen tried, but I snarled at her.

"No."

"But the High Lord-"

"Tell the High Lord he can go fuck himself," I scoffed. The arrogant bastard could be his own damn date to whatever bullshit party Amarantha had dreamed up this time.

"I'm not sure we-"

"What part of no are you not understanding? Tell the sick bastard I refuse to play his games. He can choke and die for all I care." The two girls winced like I'd spit in their faces. With one more long look at each other, they retreated back to where they'd come from, leaving me once again alone in my darkness.

—--------------------------------------------------

My back was pressed against the wall when I felt the air around me shift. I knew it was Rhysand before he even emerged, his little ball of starlight illuminating the space around us. He looked to be in good spirits, his usual arrogant smirk plastered on his face.

"Choking is a terrible way to die, Feyre. What a ferocious wish," He purred, squatting down to my level, only the metal bars separating us. The only thing keeping me from trying to claw his eyes out with my bare hands. "And for your information, I do fuck myself. Quite regularly, in fact."

I gagged dramatically, rolling my eyes. He grinned. He slid a small tray through the bars, sitting it on the floor. The plate held fruit and bread. Like I'd trust anything he gave me ever again after what he'd done with the faerie wine. 

"Do you think about what I fuck often? Or is this a new fixation of yours?" He said, voice coy. I hated that he was attractive. It made me want to punch him in the face. "Because if you're curious, all you have to do is ask." My skin prickled.

"You are the last thing in Prythian I'd ever fuck," I spit out.

"Oh, yes, I think you made that obvious when you were moaning my name in front of the entire court," he gave a dark chuckle. I gritted my teeth to keep from trying to strangle him through the bars.

"You drugged me," I snarled. He lifted one shoulder in a shrug, pushing out his bottom lip slightly as if to say that it didn't really matter.

"You seemed to quite like it if I remember correctly," he said, raising an accusatory brow.

"Yeah, drugs make you feel good," I scoffed. "That's like the entire point of drugs."

"Wine," he corrected. "I remember you begging for more."

"I did not beg," I say, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Mmm, it was a pretty sound," he mused. "Oh, Rhysand! More wine! Ugh, you're just so handsome." He said, lifting his voice a few octaves and closing his eyes as he moaned the words. Looking at me with a wolfish grin once he'd finished.

"I must've forgotten when you got whistled for like a dog," I chided. His eyes were piercing, even in the darkness.

"You are jealous, aren't you?" He said with amusement like he hadn't fully believed it before when he'd said it. "You needn't worry, Feyre darling. I'm very good at sharing." I glared at him, refusing to give him the satisfaction of bantering with me, getting a rise out of me.

I leaned back against the wall, refusing to look at him anymore. Maybe he'd get the hint and just leave. Take the bruise to his ego and run back to his pretty little Queen. Gods, I need to get a grip. I sounded jealous even in my own head. Which I'm not. I'd rather be mauled by a dog than ever be touched by him again.

Rhys laughed under his breath, shaking his head.

"A dog," he said, barely loud enough to be heard. I whipped my head towards him, my eyes wide, but he was already walking away, his back turned to me. Had I lost my mind? I knew I hadn't said the words out loud. Yet somehow, he'd heard them. Could he read minds?

I shook the ridiculous notion away and filed it under thoughts that might actually classify me as clinically insane. Right next to the feeling I got in my stomach every time I saw him. Gods.