6

TW: Gore and violence

"There is another event tonight that the High Lord has required your attendance for," Nuala said as she peeked her head into Rhysand's room the next morning. I stayed immobilized and crouched in the corner I'd slept in, looking at her with all the anger I could muster in my eyes. I knew it wasn't the shadow twins' fault, nor was it fair to punish them for doing their job, but I was so tired of being treated like property.

    "Could he not ask me that himself?" I scoffed. Nuala and Cerridwen came inside, shutting the door behind them and watching each other wearily for a few moments as if they were communicating through their eyes before Cerridwen turned back to me to answer.

    "The High Lord is occupied," Cerridwen said, clearing her throat awkwardly. "He has sent us in his place. The High Lord says you are more comfortable with us." Nuala nodded along, as if she wanted to provide her sister with all the support she could, even in the smallest of ways.

    "Like he cares about my comfort," I rolled my eyes.

    "We do, miss," Nuala said softly. "We know you didn't ask to be here or for any of this to happen to you, but for whatever reprieve we may be able to give you, we want to." They looked at me with surging emotions in their dark eyes. They seemed like very sweet people, and my heart desperately wanted to trust them, but I just couldn't let myself.

    "You can call me Feyre," I said, sniffing and standing up from my corner. They nodded, moving to the bathing chamber of Rhysand's room, beginning to run me a bath. They helped me undress, and I stepped into the warm water. They'd formed somewhat of a routine with me. Surely Rhysand had not required them to massage my scalp as they washed my hair or to take all the extra care of small details that they did. I supposed in some ways it was sweet.

    Once I was bathed, the girls' demeanor shifted. They seemed uncomfortable, like they were about to have to tell me something they really hadn't wanted to. When I saw the familiar fabric of the gauze-like dress, my stomach sank. This time it was in a blush pink color, low hanging golden chains adorning the slits on the sides. When they pulled the fabric onto me, the cold of the metal rested against my hips. I was no more covered than I had been before, but at least the color was slightly darker this time.

    It wasn't until Cerridwen pulled out another item that my heart sank fully, finally understanding their hesitance. In her hands was a black collar, draped in the same golden chains ornamentally, with a longer, thicker gold chain for someone to use on me like I was a dog. That someone being Rhysand. She gave me an apologetic look, coming to me and fastening it around my neck. Luckily, I had plenty of room to breathe, but that made it no less dehumanizing. Tears welled in my eyes, and I fought them back, determined that I would not cry anymore.

    Rhys didn't come to the room to escort me as he'd done before, but instead allowed the shadow twins to guide me down the hallways and into the Great Hall. The red marble floor made my gut churn, and hearing Amarantha's laugh was an amplifier of that anxiety. Nuala was careful to hold the chain in such a way that made it clear that she had no intentions of leading me around like a pet.

    Rhysand was in the chair he'd been in last time, his eyes darkened and expression stern. Shadowed smoke lingered at his feet as he pressed two fingers against his temple to support his head using his elbow on the chair arm. His legs were spread wide in dominance and his eyes flickered around the room with blatant intolerance. He was in a foul mood. Lovely.

    He gave me no acknowledgement and once Nuala passed him the chain to my collar, he jerked it roughly, sending me toppling back so that I was sat in his lap. I gasped, watching the way Nuala winced at the High Lord's aggression. His hand wound around my body to press into my stomach scooting me backwards until my back was flush against his chest. My breath hitched and I pressed my hands against my lap to avoid him seeing the way my hands were shaking.