23

A/N: So sorry it has taken so long to update. My life kinda blew up in my face. I have also been working on an original book of my own, so that has stolen some of my creative flow. I love you for hanging in there with me. xoxoxo

I met Rhysand's gaze over the brim of his glass, his eyes focused and attentive. He lounged on the arm of Amarantha's throne, his cerulean silk shirt draping across his chest in a way that made my knees weak. His tattoos peeked out and across his chest, and I remembered the feeling of pressing my mouth there. His eyes quickly snapped away, saying something witty that made Amarantha and the two other fae atop the dais chuckle in delight. Rhysand was quite charming when it benefitted him.

"Feyre," a dark, smooth voice spoke from behind me. I turned to find a towering man draped in white and gold. His deep skin tone shone with a warmth I'd thought had gone extinct in these tunnels. I'd seen the High Lord of the Day Court enough at gatherings by this point but seeing him so close was another thing entirely. He was beautiful in a way that I had never seen. Everything about him was inviting.

"H-Hi, High Lord," I said awkwardly, mocking a sketchy bow. He chuckled.

"Helion," he corrected. "Hello, little love."

"I-I-... Um, thank you for-"

"Mind our company, darling," he spoke, and the endearment was almost as delicious as it was when it rolled off Rhysand's tongue. I stiffened, immediately snapping my mouth closed. Gods, I needed to be more careful. Too much was riding on this to ever give it the opportunity to be anything other than perfect.

"Right," I nod curtly.

"I'll admit myself impressed by your bravery, Miss Archeron," Helion said with a slow smile. His voice was a deep rumble in his chest. Every part of the man leaked power. I could only imagine how it would feel had Amarantha not stolen most.

"Me?"

"Indeed," he nodded, gesturing to where Amarantha kissed Rhysand's neck. My stomach churned and I quickly looked away. Helion noted my demeanor, and I could have kicked myself. "Takes great courage to stand when the odds are not tipped in your favor. I've watched you. You have quite the tendency for trouble."

I swallowed.

"I suppose you could say so," I nodded.

"I like your fire," Helion smiled. "I could see why Rhysand admires you so."

I opened my mouth to protest, but Helion raised a brow. He was testing me, and I'd just confirmed all of his suspicions with my reaction. I was off kilter tonight. I needed to get a grip on myself before I risked the lives of everyone in the room. It was a dangerous game we were playing.

"Thank you," was all I choked out. Helion hummed in response.

"Seems the hour draws near," he spoke, eyes flicking momentarily to the dais behind me. I couldn't turn to see what he had seen without alerting Amarantha to the attention and watchful eyes. "See you when the darkness takes hold."

And with that, he was gone, off to prance about and socialize. My eyes went to Rhys, but I felt like I'd been kicked in the gut when I saw him kiss Amarantha, slipping his tongue past her lips. I knew what that felt like. I knew the way it made your stomach drop and your heart pound. I knew how the smell of him wrapped around you like an intoxicating and all-consuming blanket.

I spun on my heel and after checking to ensure no one was watching my movements, I headed toward our room, at the very last second catching Helion's curious eyes. I scurried quickly down the hallway, shutting myself inside the room with a deep breath of relief. Kicking off my ridiculous shoes, I crawled into bed, still in my dress.