21

Four nights later, Rhysand staggered into his room looking haggard and exhausted. I immediately stood from the table where I'd been eating, in such a rush the chair nearly toppled over backward. I walked to stand in front of him, looking up and taking in the deep purple shadows underneath both of his eyes that told me he likely hadn't slept at all.

    I opened my mouth, unsure of what to do or say, but I didn't have to.

    It was like his knees almost gave out when he wrapped his strong arms around me, burying his face in my neck and holding me to his chest like it was a lifeline. He held me that way for several long moments before his shoulders started to faintly shake. My brows knitted as I squeezed my eyes shut, the tears still rolling down my cheeks anyway.

    I took his hand, walking him over to the bed. He sat down on the edge, his eyes unfocused and hazy. I untied his shoes and helped him out of them. He cooperated but was otherwise barely conscious. I sat back against the headboard, reaching for him. He leaned over to lay on top of me, resting his head against my belly. I stroked his hair softly and he nuzzled into me, closing his eyes and sighing heavily.

    "Rhys," I murmured as I pushed his hair off of his forehead. He didn't move, but I knew he was listening to me. Maybe that was all he could afford to give right now. "I'm glad you're back." He wrapped his arms around my middle tighter, holding me like glass he was afraid to drop.

    His hair  was so soft underneath my fingers, and he seemed to purr like a kitten when I played with his hair. I was happy to let him rest on my chest if that was what would chase the ache away. I didn't even want to begin to think of what his last four days had been like. My days had become monotonous routines of the girls delivering food at mealtimes and forcing me to bathe on days when it felt impossible. I spent most of my hours stuck in Rhysand's room with nothing to do that I'd started to drive myself mildly insane from my own company, so I was just happy to be with another human.

    I wanted to puncture Amarantha's eyeball on a dagger and parade it as a trophy for ever putting him in this position. I wished my skin could soak up his pain and grief, even just to lighten his load the tiniest fragment. His shoulders always seemed so heavy. I had no idea how he'd managed to get by as long as he had. I wasn't sure I'd have the strength to deal with all he'd endured.

    "Are you okay?" I asked softly, cupping his cheek with a light touch. His violet eyes blinked open and found mine to reveal then oceans of heartache lurked beyond.

    "I am now," he whispered.

    I gave him a sad smile, hoping he would let me in.

    "She came here," I admitted, afraid of his reaction. He stiffened, pushing his weight up on his arms as he still loomed over me, looking down into my eyes in pursuit of answers. I swallowed, trying to choose my words wisely. "She threatened me to stay away from you."

    "Feyre, what?" Rhys scolded, moving to sit up, but I caught his arms, slowly pulling him back to lay on my chest, and he sighed as he gave in. "Why did you shut me out? How did you learn how to shield?"

    I shook my head, playing with his hair again.

    "I was just so angry at you. I slammed this wall down in my mind and didn't know how to reopen it. Then she told me what she was going to do to you and I-"

    He pulled away again, sitting up fully, resting his arms on the tops of his bent knees.

    "What do you mean she told you what she was going to do to me?" He said, his eyes glossing slightly in a way that let me know he was panicking. I wasn't sure how to tell him this without upsetting him. But he needed to know.