35

"I think I'd like to see my sisters," I told Rhysand the following week. He'd been mildly hesitant, but supportive none-the-less. He wasn't my eldest sister's personal fan by any means after all of those late night talks we'd had in his bedroom under the mountain.

So, the next day he waited for me in the breakfast nook, legs crossed at the ankles as he looked down at some paperwork he'd been sent to look over. I watched him for a moment before making my presence known, loving the crease in his brow when he was deep in thought. It'd been hitting me over and over in heavy waves that he was really mine and we were truly free.

The peace felt fragile, like disaster was looming around the corner with sharpened claws for the moment we let down our guards. Amarantha might have been dead, but that did not mean her memory was. Certainly not for Rhysand, who'd been attempting to hide his grief in mountains of work and time spent with Azriel and Cassian.

"Goodmorning, Feyre darling," he smiled, the mention of my name smoothing his features and bringing light back into his violet eyes.

"Hi," I grinned back at him with a small wave, walking over to him. He pulled me down into his lap, kissing my neck with a hum of approval.

"Ready?"

I nodded and he kissed me once more before standing us both up and readying us to winnow together.

We landed in Spring, just before the break in the trees I knew led into the human realms. We crossed through with surprising ease, walking along the mud path that led to the local villages where I'd grown up.

Being in the trees again was a relief I hadn't realized I needed. The air was different here- sharper and lighter somehow. I closed my eyes and breathed in the familiar smell, letting myself remember all the hours spent out here alone, knowing my family's survival was dependent on me alone.

When I opened my eyes, I caught Rhysand staring at me with strange look on his face. He looked away quickly, shoving his hands in his pockets and clearing his throat. I blinked, watching him hide his emotions behind walls of mental wards. What had he been thinking about?

"Are you sure about this?" He asked me, his nerves evident in his voice.

"Yes," I assured him with a nod. "I have to know they're okay."

"I understand that," he said softly.

"Do you think they'll forgive me? For leaving them?"

"I think they will," he said thoughtfully, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pulling me into his side. "I think once you tell them what you experienced, they'll understand that none of it was your fault."

"Nesta can hold a grudge," I said as I chewed the insides of my cheeks.

"She's your sister," he said, trying his best to sound reassuring.

"Yes," was all I said. We walked on for a few more quiet moments before I looked at Rhys. "I miss her."