Chapter Six - The Past

Alpha Kayson

Winnie snarls at me, silver eyes glowing with the presence of her wolf so close to the surface. I fight back the urge to bare my teeth at her and force her to submit. The damage that would cause would be irreversible. I understood how much she needed moments like these to find herself, figure out where she stands within the pecking order in the pack, and just who she will be.

"Breathe, Winnie. Deep breaths.", I say calmly. My voice washes over her as her body quivers from the inner turmoil she's fighting. My wolf howls in my head, wanting, no, needing to protect her, to console her.

Luna Kellie stands to the side, soft eyes on Winnie. "I believe in you Winnie. You can do this. Focus on us, our auras. I know you can feel us, Winnie. Don't think, just feel."

I smile at my mate, pride forcing me to puff my chest out as Winnie listens to her words. I see her visibly relax as she closes her eyes and inhales deeply, slowly letting it out in a shaky breath. The shadows slowly fall back but I can still feel her brothers watching us, waiting for Winnie to explode so they can step in and take her where she'll be safe.

Winnie opens her eyes and stares at her hands, her eyebrows furrowed as she displays her confusion. I step forward and grab her small hands in my large ones while smiling at her. "You did it, Winnie. You're gonna be okay."

She shook her head and looked up at me, her black eyes filled with tears. "I'll never be okay, Alpha. Not while I'm here. I can't be here while I'm healing. I can still feel my mother leering over my shoulder.", she whimpers.

"She's not here anymore.", I say as I brush her dark hair behind one ear. "She's gone and she'll never hurt you again."

Luna Kellie joins me, running a hand across Winnie's back as her whimpers get louder. "But she is. Her memory haunts me. I look around and all I see is her. Her cruel smile and evil eyes."

"Okay, what can we do to help you Winnie?", Luna Kellie asks.

"Let me leave Red Mountain."

"No!", I snarl. The word is out of my mouth before I can stop it and it startles her but she only clasps my hands tighter.

"Please, Alpha Kayson. I can't truly heal while I'm in the same pack that she hurt me in. Please let me go. I'll come back, I swear on Mene.", she begs. Tears are streaming down her face and I feel myself give in.

"You'll come back?", I ask for reassurance.

She nods. "In two years, I'll come back."

"Where will you go?"

Winnie looks back at her nine Shadow Brothers standing in the treeline not too far back. "I'm gonna go with my brothers, spend some time with them while I heal. My mother has kept me from them all my life. It's time I reunite with them as a family should."

I pull her into a tight hug, swallowing the lump in my throat. "I love you, Winnie. Please don't break your promise. I can't live without you here. You are my daughter, even without my blood flowing through your veins."

"I love you too, Alpha Kayson. I'll be back.", Winnie whispers before she pulls away.

She walks to the treeline where her brothers wait for her. Once she reaches them, they all hug her and she laughs. Winnie looks back at my mate and I, waving her hand as she slowly disappears.

My mate pulls me into a hug, forcing my head into her neck as I hold onto her tightly, crying. "She'll be back, Kayson. She'll come back to her home. She promised."

I find no comfort in those words.