Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Past

Mother Mene, Moon Goddess of Darkness

I cough violently into my hand as Selene rubs my back soothingly, the warmth coming from her hands soothing the sharp pains. My hand is covered in blood flecks when I pull it away and I clench my hand into a fist in anger.

"I don't have much time left.", I mutter. "My mortality is making me weak."

"It's not making you weak. Your mortality is the reason I chose you, Mene. It's your strongest asset.", Selene attempts to comfort.

I barely glance at her before I sit back and relax into my throne. "I am dying, Selene. Everything you have done is for nothing. Everything I have done, is for nothing."

Selene takes my hands in hers as she crouches in front of me, blue eyes gazing intently into my black ones. "It's not for nothing. You have changed so many lives for the better. If you had not come along, our wolves would be long dead from waging wars on each other. You help me bring a balance to their world."

"I will die before Winnie has completed the prophecy. The dark wolves will be left in chaos. They will feel their Goddess die, and will have no one to turn to. They do not know of Winnie yet."

"But they will eventually. I will not let you give up. You will survive.", Selene says, her hands glowing with a golden light.

I can feel her power flood my body, mending the sickness for now. Selene coughs and my eyes widen as she falls back. "Selene!", I cry, rushing to her side. "What have you done?!"

She smiles at me with bloody lips and teeth. "Only what was necessary. I will help you burden this sickness."

Yanking her into a hug, I hold her tight and rub her back as coughs shake her form violently. Selene clings to me, clawing at my dress as she fights the sickness suddenly taking hold. When she goes limp in my arms, I carefully lay her back and put her head in my lap. Her chest rises and falls steadily but I hear the rumble in her chest. She will not die from this but it will plague her until either I get over it, Winnie takes the two thrones, or I die.

"Fate have mercy on us.", I whisper into the empty room.