Chapter Ten - The Past

Beta James

I stare at the malnourished and mistreated female in my Alpha's arms, true horror on my face. What happened to little Winnie is an atrocity that should have never happened if Kayson and I were doing our jobs as Alpha and Beta properly. We should've known that this would happen with how Jessica reacted after Michael's death.

"I'm so sorry.", I choke out to a barely conscious Winnie.

She reaches a weak hand out to me, fingers brushing my cheek and leaving very faint sparks. "It's okay.", Winnie whispers. "You saved me before she could fully destroy me. Thank you."

My wolf whimpers, distraught. "It's not. We should've saved you sooner.", I whisper.

A faint smile forms on her face. "But it is, Beta James. This is the path the Goddess has chosen for me and if she needed me to suffer to help me in the future, then so be it."

"Why?", Alpha Kayson asks, his voice barely above a whisper.

Winnie's eyes flutter shut and she relaxes fully into his arms. "I do not know. Some things happen for reasons we will never know until the Goddess decides to let us know. Everything happens for a reason, even if we do not see it just yet."

Alpha Kayson and I ponder her words, watching her sleep, that faint smile still on her face. My heart pounds wildly in my chest as my wolf whines, looking through my eyes to watch her. His whimpers tear me down, leaving me looking at the young female with tears in my eyes.

"Kayson.", I croak, getting his attention. "I think she's my mate."

He looks at me with wide eyes. "Are you sure?"

I nod. "I'm sure. When she touch my cheek, I felt sparks. Barely there, but still there. I won't know for sure until she's old enough to find her mate."

"Which won't be until she's twenty."

I stare at her, unable to take my eyes off of her. Alpha Kayson and I stand there, staring at her until night falls and the pack lights up.