Chapter Thirteen

Winnie Melbourne

When I wake up, the only thing on my mind is James. One of four mates, the Beta, has been found and I ache to be near him. I sit up in bed, glancing around and realizing this is not my room. My mate's scent surrounds me, pine and cherry, a scent so tantalizing. Slipping out from under the covers, my bare feet meet the carpet and I stretch, groaning as my joints pop loudly. I walk quietly to the door, I open it and look down the hallway.

Once I deem it clear, I quickly walk to Alpha Kayson's office. I ensure my mate isn't inside before I throw open the door, close it, and lock it. My Alpha looks startled at my presence before standing and engulfing me in a hug. I hold onto him, trying to ground myself and keep calm. I always knew I was going to have a Beta mate, but James? I didn't expect it at all.

"Are you okay, my daughter?", he asks, resting his chin on the top of my head.

I nod. "Yes, I'm just surprised and a little overwhelmed."

"Do you wish to talk about it?"

I nod again as I pull away. "Please."

Alpha Kayson motions for me to take a seat and I do, tucking my legs under me as I sit on the couch. "Why are you overwhelmed? You knew a Beta was going to be your mate."

"I did, yes, but I didn't think it would be Beta James. I've known the man my whole life, working beside him, and he was there when you rescued me. He's seen my ups and downs, listened to me rant, seen every single dark part of me. He had a hand in raising me. I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed with the fact that a man I consider a good friend of mine turns out to be my mate. Did he know?"

He shakes his head. "Beta James did not know, although that day we saved you he had an inkling that you were his mate. The signs were there, faint, but still there that you would be his. He stopped messing with the other females that day so if it turned out that you were his mate, no other wolf would cause problems."

"But there are problems. Three of them, to be exact."

"The other three mates? Two Alphas and a Gamma?", Alpha Kayson inquires with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes. Beta James is unaware and I don't know what he's going to think. Is he going to be willing to share me?", I ask.

My Alpha shrugs and runs a hand down his face. "I'm not sure, Winnie. That's a question you are going to have to ask Beta James. You two have a very long talk ahead of you and I suggest you do it soon. Don't withhold this information from him. It'll only cause pain to both of you."

"Okay.", I say as I stand. "I'll talk to him. Do you know where he is?"

"He was making sure the last Alpha made it over the border. What about the other two Alphas? Did you sense them during the ceremony?"

I shook my head. "No. Were there any Alphas that didn't make it?"

"Yes. Two. Alpha Jax of Blue Mountain and Alpha Samuel of Purple Mountain. It would be highly likely that those two Alphas are your mates. As for the Gamma, you'd have to request permission to meet with all the Gammas on the Mountain and in the Flat Packs. If Alpha Jax and Alpha Samuel are not your mates, then you'll have to go down the Mountain and visit the Flat Packs."

I groaned at the thought before snarling. "That Flat Pack Alpha is going to be here today."

"Unfortunately. He should be here in about four hours. We'll see if he can even make it this far up the Mountain. He has to make it through Black Mountain first and we all know how they are."

The scars on my left side throb with the reminder of Black Mountain. Yes, we do know how they are. Especially me.

Going toe to toe with the Black Mountain Alpha was not a smart idea.