Chapter Twenty- Six - The Past

Jessica Shivers

3 years ago

I glance at my daughter, feeling detached from her and the world as my wolf snarls. I force her back, desperate to give Winnie the best birthday she could ever ask for. It's her eleventh birthday but the day is not happy for me. Eleven years ago on this fateful day, my mate was murdered. I feel the pain of the torn bond as if it happened yesterday, but most of all I feel the pain of hurting my own daughter.

Winnie was everything I could have asked for. With my male gone, she helped fill the hole and keep me full of love. It was never enough for my wolf though. She was desperate for her mate, one that was long gone. I had been forced for a year to sit back and watch my wolf hurt my little Shadow, blaming my daughter for her mate's death.

2 years ago

I waited and bid my time until I was strong enough to take over and love little Winnie until my wolf grew stronger again. On Winnie's birthday every year, my wolf would falter in her hold on my mind and give me just enough time to take over and force her back. It would last the whole day and into the night, until my wolf would realize that by midnight it was a new day and no longer the day of her mate's death. She doesn't see our daughter's birthday as her birthday, but rather the day our mate was brutally taken from us.

She would take over at midnight on the dot and rip Winnie from her bed by her hair, dragging her across the house and into a room she had built especially for Winnie. It was brutal, the LED lights taking a piece of my little Shadow and ensuring her brothers could not help her. It hurt and I would cry, begging my wolf to have mercy on our daughter, but she was far too gone. My wolf even allowed other people in my home to hurt Winnie and I would weep as my daughter begged me to stop hurting her and stop letting others hurt her.

The day Alpha Kayson came to save Winnie was the happiest day of my life. I watched from the back of my mind as my wolf tried to go against her Alpha and failed miserably. As I was dying in Winnie's room with Alpha Kayson standing over me, I was able to take over and speak to my Alpha, explain the situation, and beg him to never tell Winnie. I would rather her hate me then see me as weak and blame her birth for the actions of my uncontrollable wolf. I told him everything I knew of the prophecy before telling him that I loved Winnie and never wanted to hurt her.

My Alpha held me as I died, running a hand through my hair and comforting me. I came to Mother Mene's temple, being a wolf from Black Mountain, and she saw that I was unable to move on. Now I'm here, in the Field of Lost Souls, with my male. I'm unable to move on until I see Winnie. I have to apologize.

I bow my head and cry for the second year I've been here, feeling Winnie's presence in the temple but unable to reach her. I scream for her as Micheal holds me, rocking me back and forth and shushing me softly. I have many regrets, but my biggest is not being strong enough to protect my little Shadow.