Chapter Eleven

Winnie Melbourne

At nineteen, I was the youngest Gamma in the country. I was also the first female Gamma who doesn't have a mate to take on the main role. So when having other Alphas over to witness induction ceremonies I help lead, tempers tend to run high. I'm young and female. Most male Alphas don't respect me or the position I hold, taking it as some joke. I don't take disrespect lightly.

Many meetings that I have attended have ended in someone getting hurt and so I thought it would be best if I just controlled my temper this round. With The Salvation Trials right around the corner, seriously injuring somebody was something I didn't wish to do. I wanted everybody to have a decent chance during the trials, a fair chance to win and become Prime Alpha. I didn't want to become Prime Alpha but I wouldn't concede immediately. I would give all of the wolves a run for their money before I found one that could best me.

I cleared my throat and shook my head to rid it of any thoughts, grateful that the shadows hid me from view. Alpha Kayson stood in front of the pack on a makeshift stage, the new members behind him and waiting eagerly for the transfer to be complete.

"Tonight is a special night.", Alpha Kayson started. "Tonight, we have a new group joining us. As many of you know, courtesy of Gamma Winnie during dinner, these wolves are refugees seeking sanctuary from the cruelty of the flat packs. They have chosen Red Mountain as their home if we have them, and we will gladly accept them with open arms. Tonight is the start of new lives for these wolves and may they prosper beautifully within Red Mountain!"

Howls of agreement fill the frost air from Red Mountain. The visiting Alphas and Betas clapped their hands, happy that the Mountain Packs are growing. The only thing that can bring the Mountain Pack Alphas together and get them to unite is their hatred for the flat packs and the cruelties they inflict on those around them, and rogues so seeing them happy wasn't surprising.

"Gamma Winnie, do you wish to say something to our newest members?"

I walk silently from the shadows, smiling slightly. "Of course, Alpha.", I say. I face the small group. "The Mountain Packs aren't for everyone. Wolves have come and gone, finding that the harsh brutality it takes to be in a Mountain Pack is not a task they are up for. As I look at each and every single one of you today, I see strength. I see courage and bravery. You have done what many wolves are too afraid to do. You have run from abusers, escaped the chains they have put you in, and ran despite knowing that they would chase. Not only that, but you sought refuge in one of the Mountain Packs, packs that are harsh and cruel. For that, you have my respect. In my eyes, you have already proven yourself worthy. As you take this oath, remember my words. Remember what you have suffered and remember who it has made you now. I hope you live long and prosper in Red Mountain. I am proud to call you all a part of my pack."

Cheers break out as Alpha Kayson steps forward, slicing his hand with a claw. He takes the first wolf's hand and slices it open before clasping their hands together. "Repeat after me...", he starts but it all fades to silence into the back of my head.

I glance at the Moon, noting its position in the sky. It's just reaching midnight and I can feel the change in the air already. My twentieth birthday has just come and I can feel it in my very being as it happens.

My matebond has just snapped into place.

As Beta James stands in front of me while I'm checking our bond, our eyes meet, green and black clashing, and I feel the bond deepen further before my eyes roll into the back of my head and I collapse. The last things I'm aware of are two things.

One, the sparks racing down my body as my mate catches me. And two, I have more than one mate.