Chapter Twenty-One

Winnie Melbourne

I am terrified, no doubt about that. The fear and panic claws without mercy at my chest, my wolf shredding our mind apart with her sharp claws. This is too much to take in.

"I'm sorry I never told you, Winnie.", my mate whispers, sadness in his eyes. "It's a curse, not a blessing."

Swallowing hard, I nod, unable to tear my gaze away from the floor. I sit on the couch with my hands clasped between my knees. "It isn't a curse if you use it properly."

James laughs mockingly. "What proper way is there to use it?"

"I don't know, James. I didn't give you the blessing, I didn't make you. But I know that you are of light and therefore your blessing is incapable of harm as long as you don't stray to the dark.", I answer, finally looking up at him. I wish I didn't.

Tears fall down his face, leaving trails of glistening wetness. My wolf howls as she feels the amount of sadness and the weight of everything he carries on his shoulders. "Winnie, just look at me. How am I not supposed to stray to the dark? I am a wolf who enjoys killing those who harm my pack, my family, or me. I am a wolf with a power I have no say in. It just comes and goes."

I stand and reach out for James but he pulls away, hunching his large shoulders slightly. The betrayal stings and I can feel the rejection through the bond, weakening it slightly. "That doesn't matter, James. As long as it's there when you need it."

"And what if it's there when I don't need nor want it? What if when I mark you, I kill you?!", James yells.

I flinch but remain calm. "It won't. Mother Selene made you my mate because she knew that whatever you came with, I would be able to handle it. I would be able to handle you."

"And if you can't?"

"I can. You are my mate and I'll be damned if I let you go.", I say, my words firm, letting him know that what I'm saying is final.

James doesn't listen. "You have another mate, Alpha Bronze. You should be with him."

I snarl and take a step forward, my calm composure dissipating. "The Mother Goddesses have blessed me with four mates, not three, not two, not one, but four. I will honor what they have given me and their will and you will too."

He shakes his head and the last bit of control I have snaps. With a growl, I lunge forward, slamming into James and sending him into the carpeted floor. The air rushes out of his lungs and I use his momentary surprise to my gain. I use my right hand to hold his head to the side and without wasting a second, I sink my teeth into his neck. Mating venom spills from my gums and into the mark, solidifying it.

Once I retract my teeth, I lick the wound close and then sit up to meet his dark gaze. He grins, showing off sharp canines and I gulp. "My turn.", he snarls, obviously pissed off.

He flips us, pinning me to the carpet. I tilt my head to the side as he sniffs my neck, his tongue flicking out and tasting my skin. "Fuck.", he groans into my neck. "You taste so good, baby. This might hurt."

His teeth sink into my neck without mercy, just like I did to him. I groan, my hips bucking into his. He pushes down with his hips and pins mine to the ground in response, grinding down onto me hard. Once his teeth are out of my neck, James begins the process of licking the mark until it closes. The bond has snapped into place and I feel everything he's willing to allow me to feel. The hurt, the raw agony he feels because of a power he cannot control. The confusion and then the love and understanding.

James stands and helps me up, pulling me into his chest and holding me. "Thank you.", he whispers. "Thank you for showing me that my power isn't a curse, but rather a blessing."

I chuckle in response. "How did you figure it out so fast?"

"I can feel the power. It's not lashing out anymore, not unrestrained. I think with time, I can learn to use it."

"The Mother Goddesses always have a plan that works.", I mutter just as the door to the packhouse flies off the hinges, a very pissed off Alpha Bronze standing in the doorway.

His grin is feral as he stares at James and I. "I do believe it's my turn now."

James snarls and Alpha Bronze snarls back. I growl at them both in warning and they break their state down to look at me, gazes softening. "The Mother Goddesses have a plan, and that means we all have to work together. You both are going to have to learn to share me. Stop snarling and staking claims when I am both of yours."

Alpha Kayson steps into the packhouse. "I couldn't say it any better, Gamma Winnie.", he says. "You two need to get along because Winnie is going to need you both. I just got off the phone with Prime Alpha Titus and he has informed me that The Salvation Trials are starting early."

I pull away from James, immediately missing his warmth and face my Alpha fully. "What?!", I snarl. "When?!"

Alpha Kayson sighs. "Three days. You three must mark and mate before then if you stand a chance against what's coming."