Chapter Eight - The Past

Winnie Melbourne

My wolf fights to take control, surfacing with a howl of anguish. The pure agony I feel right now shakes me to the core, stripping me of my senses. I'm unaware of where exactly I'm at in Red Mountain. The trees and surrounding scenery are just a blur of colors as my wolf and I push ourselves to the limit.

The pure atrocities forced upon us mere moments earlier shred us to pieces. My chest heaves with the effort of just breathing, my consciousness slipping away as everything catches up to us. The title slams into place as Alpha Kayson accepts his new Gamma through the packbond.

I can still smell him, feel him on me even though I am no longer in my human form. My wolf howls again, this time in rage and despair. She doesn't know what to do, her wolf instincts never having to deal with something like this before. I don't know what to do either.

Heavy thuds come from behind me. My subconscious knows it's my Alpha coming to comfort me, save me from myself as my mind slowly rips me apart, but fear tells me it's the recently dead Gamma. I whip around and engage the wolf, lunging and aiming to kill like I had already done.

Alpha Kayson sidesteps my lunge, barely missing my claws and teeth but a few measly inches. His movements won't deter me though and I lunge again, this time going low. My teeth shred his back left ankle, crushing bone without applying much pressure. Blood fills my mouth and I fight to swim to the surface of my dark thoughts and fear, trying desperately to break the surface and stop myself. I know this is my Alpha, my father by adoption, but the fear is drowning me.

He takes the attack, not making a sound but letting me basically chew his back leg like it's a damn toy. The link between us opens and I feel him probe into my mind to see what happened, to understand. I snarl at the intrusion but open the link even more, allowing the whole pack to see what the Gamma they had worshipped did to me.

My Alpha, my poor Alpha, throws his head back and howls in anguish and rage. My wolf releases his leg and huddles close to the ground, realizing her mistake. Alpha Kayson turns to my wolf and before we could scramble away, lays on her. He cleans her face and the back of her neck, whimpers escaping his throat. Sadness is in his eyes and my wolf retreats, the emotions too much for her to handle.

I lay naked under his wolf, unashamed. Nakedness does not bother Red Mountain. I hold his fur tight in my hands and bury my face in his neck, crying for the pain I had just experienced. Crying for the injustices I have gone through.

And crying for the fact that I just murdered my Uncle.