Chapter 14

ᴋɪᴛ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

The moment I saw the street that Jamie pulled up to, I knew whose party we were going to.

For the past two years, I have tried to make myself a better person, to live a better life, to stay as far away as possible from anything that might set me back, but in the end, I knew that she'd always find me.

"How do you both know each other?" Hanna, Jamie's ex asks, as she looks between Leah and me.

Leah... just what the hell is she playing at?

"We used to date." Leah said, smiling sweetly, her eyes on me, then shifting to Jamie:

"We're childhood sweethearts turned 'just friends'." She said, almost tauntingly. "Right, Kit?"

I felt sick, so sick and so angry that all I could do was to clench my fists from lashing out at her for how messed up this was.

Jamie looked uncomfortable, and with it came the sickening feeling in the put of my stomach, knowing that the longer I stay here, the more questions will arise, and the more Leah will most likely taunt me.

"That's funny, he didn't mention you." Jamie said, surprising me and Leah, as we both turn to look at him.

The space between us had shifted into total silence, the only sound coming from the party as the air between us suddenly thickened with growing tension between everyone.

"Oh, and by the way, someone's puking on your lawn." He said, impulsively, before grabbing hold of my arm and pulling me along with him, past Leah and Hanna.

Jamie dragged me until I couldn't see Leah's stone-cold face anymore, as we went into the house that has only haunted my dreams for the past two years, the house I vowed to never go back into again.

As we got to a quiet part of the house, Jamie turned to me and looked at me, like he was trying to figure me out.

"Jamie, I-"

"You don't have to explain anything to me." He sighed, crossing his arms, looking at my face.

"Do you want to leave?"

Leave? I wanted to burn the house down, or better yet, to set myself of fire, so that I'd never see this place again.

"We can stay, it's just me and Leah... it's complicated." I swallowed hard, as his eyes glued to mine.

He snorted, just as a drunk girl stumbled to where we were and then sunk to the floor, her heels too big for her feet and her short tight dress stained with the smell of alcohol.

Both sighing, we bent down in union and helped the girl up. "We should call her a cab."

I nodded my head and with Jamie, we walked with the girl who looked like she was just a freshman, out of the house, passing intoxicated, drunk and airy teenagers as we eventually made it back to the front of the house.

The girl was barely conscious and trying to open her eyes, and just like that, sour memories from the past creeped in from the deep, dark and small box I locked them in.

​🇫​​🇱​​🇦​​🇸​​🇭​​🇧​​🇦​​🇨​​🇰​

"Come on Kit, it's just a line." Leah said, before bending down, covering a side of her nose and sniffing the white powder.

"The party is just getting started, don't let it go to waste."

Amber looked at me and with her eyes telling me that she was desperately wanting to leave, and for me to go with her, but I could not just go, not without Leah, not while we were currently crashing a college party.