Chapter 25

ᴋɪᴛ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

My driver stopped the car outside of the building, and the person I was scheduled to meet was standing outside, waiting for me.

As I was getting ready to leave the car, my phone began to ring, I grabbed my phone from my jacket and saw who it was. I turned off my phone.

After all, it was Jess, again, to confirm that I was, yet again 'a fucking piece of shit'.

Getting out of the car, I smiled at the woman who stood there to greet me.

"Hi... Mr Pierce?" The woman asks, coming up to me.

"Yes." I smile, as I close the car door behind me. "How is she doing?" I ask.

"She's doing great, she'll be down in a moment." She smiled happily. 

Just then, the doors behind her to the hospital open, and out walks the very person I was here to pick up.

"She's a stubborn one." The woman, whose nameplate said 'Sara' said, as we both watched as Amber walked towards us.

Amber... the same Amber that I was too afraid to speak to, two years ago.

As I watched the girl who had once lost all hope, and motivation, now walk towards me, with a smile on her face and without a wheelchair, I couldn't help but feel a weight disappear from my shoulders.

"Chris." Amber beams happily at me, as I meet her halfway to wrap my arm around her, to hug her.

Amber hugs me back and giggles, just as I pull away enough to wrap my arm around her securely, to help her walk.

"You shouldn't be overdoing it, Amber, what if you fell?" I lightly scold, a frown escaping me as I look down at her worriedly.

Amber rolls her eyes at me, then turns to look at Sara, ignoring my frown.

"Thank you for everything Sara, I couldn't do this without you." She said the appreciation in her voice made Sara's eyes tear up.

"Please." Sara waves her off. "You made my night shifts less dull and boring, I should be thanking you."

They both laugh and then embrace each other in a light hug, before I walk with Amber back to the car I arrived in, my driver holding the door open for us.

I help Amber in the car and once she's comfortable with her seatbelt on, I turn to Sara and shake her hand.

"I owe you so much, Sara." I sigh, genuinely meaning it. "If there is anything-"

"Nonsense, this is why I do what I do, and you've already done enough, your donations to the hospital made it possible for us to treat Amber." She said, before looking past me to smile at Amber.

"I should let you leave now, I have to get back to work." Sara said as I nodded my head.

With one final goodbye from Amber, I once again thank Sara and then get into the back of the car, sitting next to Amber as my driver closes the door behind me.

I look at her and feel less stressed, knowing that she's finally out of this place and I can be the one to take her home.

It's been a long road to get here, but knowing that Amber had forgiven me, and I had forgiven her from all those years ago, made my life a ton of a lot easier.