Chapter 26

ᴊᴀᴍɪᴇ ᴘᴏᴠ

It's almost as though I can feel what the painter went through, just by looking into her eyes."

"I know, right? I feel sad just looking at it like I just lived through something with him too."

"Right!?"

I kept my head down and strolled through my opening and listened to how people reacted to my works of 'art' if you could call it that.

It was unfortunately packed inside the gallery, below my apartment and studio, and more people stood outside just to get a peek in, along with photographers itching to get a look inside.

No press, no cameras, and no fucking formal wear, which some turned up in, and unfortunately, got turned away.

I didn't want tonight to be some get-together for the rich, upper class to buy my work for the sake of pleasing my dad, whom they respected a lot, and still looked up to as a businessman.

Only a few were invited, the rest I couldn't put a name to a face if I had tried, but my dad suggested I at least invite some of the critics, to get my name out there...

Everything so far was going well, too well...

Surprisingly, I didn't have anything negative to say tonight, which should bug me, because all my work was up for display for people I either didn't know or people I didn't want to see this side of me.

I feel a tap on my shoulder, and when I turn around, I smile when I look into the eyes of my sister, Allie, in the arms of my stepdad, Evan.

"Hey, did you just get here?" I asked as Evan handed me my sister.

"Jamie!" Allie hugged me tightly, her small hands gripping me so tightly it made me laugh.

"Monkey." I said back to her, then stuck my tongue out at her, making her giggle.

"We did, your dad's just talking to some business types..." Evan said, then rolled his eyes.

"I got out of there the fastest I could, we both did, didn't we Allie?" He said grinning, to a bubbly and happy Allie.

I look around until I spot my dad, doing just as Evan said, talking to some 'stiff' who looked as though he had a lot to say, from the look on my dad's face.

"Looks like someone finally has a real opinion tonight." I said dryly, making Evan nudge my shoulder.

"They're great Jamie, you're a gifted painter, I also might have overheard someone purchase more than one of your pieces tonight." 

"So, enjoy tonight, this is your hard work finally paying off." He added.

I wanted to say something, but my dad had come up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder, making me turn around and put Allie on the floor, where she ran over to my dad and hugged his leg.

"Good turnout tonight, kid." He said, before picking Allie up to smile at me.

I felt so awkward, it had been too long before we were all together in the same room.

"Uh, thanks." I said awkwardly, as I rubbed my neck.

"Have you seen my mom anywhere?" I asked them both, as they looked at each other before shaking their heads.

"She's probably around, you know how she likes to find the snack tray." Evan said as I nodded my head, knowing he was probably right.

"I'm going to see if I can find her, uh..." I clear my throat. "Thanks for coming... and uh, making this happen."