Unprepared

Riley

I try to relax over the next couple of days since I know I'll be returning to work at the paper on the following Tuesday. As far as I'm concerned, I'm back to normal, but a call to the doctor suggests I continue to take it easy for a few more days.

It's a long holiday weekend, and Gabriel tells me he's free all three days. When I wake Saturday morning, looking forward to a lazy time cuddling in bed, he's packing clothing into a bag.

Rubbing my eyes, I sit up. Disappointment washes over me. "Oh, uh... were you called to a business meeting somewhere?"

Gabriel, who always wakes before me and is the morning sunshine to my grumpy self, grins. "We are going somewhere, but it's not business. Only pleasure."

"Hunh?"

"I've booked a suite for us at the St. Regis," he says.

I blink, wondering if I'm dreaming. I'd assumed that we were going to spend the next three days by his pool. Possibly go out on his yacht. Maybe get dinner somewhere by the beach. "The St. Regis. That's... where?"

He comes and sits next to me. "New York City. I've got a whole weekend planned. A Broadway show, a private tour at a museum, reservations at a couple of restaurants."

My mouth hangs open, and Gabriel gently puts his fingers on my chin and closes it. He kisses me softly. "There's someone I want you to meet up there, too. I was going to surprise you, but I should probably tell you. We're having dinner with my sister tonight."

"Meeting the family, hmm?" I press my palm to his face.

"It's about time for that, don't you think? I was thinking we should soon plan a trip to see your parents."

I swallow. The eventuality of Gabriel meeting my family strikes a note of trepidation inside me. While I'm certain that my mother would love him, I'm equally sure that my father would not. "Yeah, it's something we need to talk about soon. What should I pack for New York? I'm so excited!"

I brush a kiss on his cheek and bound out of bed. New York is one of my favorite places on earth, and the idea of walking through the busy streets with Gabriel makes me ridiculously happy. I'll think about introducing him to my parents later. I slide the closet door open.

"Bring the essentials only. My sister's planning on taking you shopping when we get there."

I pause at the open closet, where Gabriel has given me space to leave my things. "Alone? Just the two of us?"

"Mmm-hmm." Gabriel zips up a garment bag.

Meeting his sister over dinner is one thing. Going shopping with her—a fashion designer—is entirely another. "Oh."

Gabriel comes over and folds me into a hug from behind. "I know what you're thinking."

I flick through my clothing on the hangers. "What am I thinking?"

"You're worried it's going to be awkward hanging out with just my sister."

I turn and stare into his dark eyes. The corners of my mouth turn up. "How do you know me so well?"

He kisses my nose. "Please don't worry about it. You're going to love her. She's going to love you. Trust me, okay?"

We finish packing, and Gabriel says we'll eat breakfast on the plane. He calls for his driver to bring the car around so we can make it to the executive airport where his private jet is parked. Before I know it, we're seated on the plane and ready for takeoff. A steward greets us with mimosas, and I send a silent prayer of thanks to the universe for this chance to take the edge off.