The Truth About Gabriel

RILEY

Surprisingly, I wake before Gabriel does. He stayed the night last night, mostly because by the time we arrived back at my place, we were a little drunk, a little depressed, and a lot exhausted.

My eyes flutter open slowly. I'm the little spoon, wrapped in Gabriel's arms.

A sliver of golden morning light filters through the blinds.

Gabriel is still sleeping deeply beside me, dark lashes fanning his sculpted cheekbones. He looks so peaceful and beautiful. My amazing fiancé.

My fiancé. I can't believe it's real. I move my hand from under the covers so I can stare at the ring, then back at Gabriel, who looks younger and almost boyish as he slumbers.

Gennaro's cruelty last night makes my heart heavy. How could any father be so dismissive and arrogant toward his only son? Especially one as hardworking as Gabriel. He tries so hard to win his father's approval and affection, but Gennaro remains stubborn and stingy with his affection.

I wonder if he was like that his entire childhood. From what I've gleaned from Cath, he was.

I trace the sharp line of Gabriel's jaw, rough with morning stubble. He stirs slightly and pulls me closer. Even asleep, he draws me into his vortex. I smile and snuggle into his warmth.

In sleep, the ever-present tension eases from his striking features. He's relaxed in a way I rarely see when he's awake. Gabriel carries the weight of his family's empire and reputation on those broad shoulders. And his father only adds to that crushing burden with impossible expectations. And doing stupid shit, like dating strippers.

Did Gennaro actually suggest that his stripper girlfriend be a bridesmaid in our wedding? Am I remembering that correctly? I drank quite a bit last night. Shockingly, I'm not hungover.

My sweet, handsome Gabriel. He would move mountains for those he loves. I wish I could protect him from further barbs, especially from his father. But the bonds of family are complicated. I know this better than anyone.

I feather kisses along Gabriel's collarbone, inhaling his subtle, intoxicating scent. He stirs again, his hands stroking my back.

"Mmm. Good morning, Riley baby," he rumbles, voice raspy with sleep. Gabriel blinks, eyes focusing on my face. A smile tugs his full lips. "This is a nice way to wake up."

"It's late, sleepyhead." I kiss his smiling mouth. "Time for breakfast."

He rolls me beneath him, nuzzling my neck. I dissolve into breathless giggles as his stubble tickles my sensitive skin. Gabriel pins my wrist over my head, grinning.

"How about we start the day right where should have ended up last night? I'll remind you why you agreed to marry me." His dark chocolate eyes smolder with desire as he claims my mouth again. Heat coils low in my belly as his hard body presses mine into the mattress.

We kiss for a few minutes, but my stomach gurgles, the loud sound breaking the sensual haze.

I crack up and press my head into Gabriel's chest.

"Apparently, we need to feed you first." He steals one last deep kiss before rolling off me. "Do you have anything to eat, or do we need to order in? Or go out?"

He sits on the edge of the bed, running his hand through his hair.

I stretch. "I have some frozen waffles. And eggs. Um, and I think some sausages."

"I'll give you an Italian sausage." Gabriel smacks my butt as I slide off the bed and head for the bathroom.

By the time I've showered and thrown my hair in a messy bun, the smell of coffee hits me as I walk into the living room. My stomach rumbles again. I didn't eat enough last night thanks to Gennaro's meddling. At least Gabriel knows how to work an espresso machine. And make breakfast.