A City That Never Sleeps

Riley

As Gabriel approaches the table, a tray of steaming coffees in hand, a subtle tension hangs in the air. Being an observant person, his eyes shift between Mia and me. The atmosphere has changed since he last saw us.

To me, it's obvious that the molecules in the room seemed to have rearranged themselves.

"Everything okay here?" Gabriel's voice holds genuine concern, his raised eyebrow betraying his curiosity.

Mia's features soften as she glances at her brother. "Everything's fine. Just getting to know Riley better." Her words carry a complex mixture of emotions, a mix of affection and skepticism.

A wave of confusion washes over me. Has he purposely omitted crucial details about his sister, such as her intensely protective nature?

I paste on a reassuring smile. "Everything's fine, Gabriel. Mia and I are just having a little chat."

His nod comes with a flicker of relief. "Okay then. Let's enjoy our coffee. They're also bringing over three warm cinnamon rolls. I couldn't resist," he says, probably attempting to bring back a sense of normalcy.

He hands Mia her espresso and places a comforting hand on my shoulder before settling into the seat next to me. With each sip of coffee and bite of the sinfully decadent pastry, the palpable tension in the room begins to dissipate.

Mia and I exchange pleasantries, engaging in small talk about New York and its hidden cafe gems. Slowly, we discover common ground, easing into a more comfortable conversation. The frosty atmosphere that had enveloped us earlier thaws, replaced by a tentative truce.

Mia's overbearing concerns stem from a deep well of love and protectiveness for her brother. Yet, beneath my attempts to understand her, a gnawing discomfort churns in my gut. I don't appreciate being subjected to such scrutiny right from the start. Despite the unease lingering within me, I know I have to find a way to get along with her.

Gabriel and his sister start discussing old times, acquaintances, and mutual connections. I remain silent, sipping my coffee and gazing out of the window onto the bustling New York City street, yearning for them to talk about Catherine. I want to hear Mia's perspective on her.

"Gabe, we're boring Riley. She doesn't care about our middle school friends," Mia playfully says, her eyes shifting towards me.

Raising my hands in surrender, I respond with a grin. "Don't worry about me. I could sit here all day, people-watching. Sometimes, I miss this city. Did Gabriel tell you that I went to college here?"

"He did," Mia confirms with a click of her tongue. "I don't know if my brother mentioned it, but we have plans. You and me. Gabriel will head back to the suite for his business matters."

Mia shoots a teasing glance at Gabriel, prompting a laugh from him. "I told Riley that you wanted to take her shopping."

"It sounds amazing," I reply, though I'm not sure it does.

"I initially planned to take you out for lunch too, but since we just indulged in all this," Mia gestures towards her cinnamon roll, of which she has only taken a small bite, "I'd say we should stick to drinks afterward."

Rising from our seats, we make our way towards the sidewalk. Gabriel presses a chaste kiss on my lips before turning to his sister. "Where's the driver?"

Mia shakes her head, a mischievous smirk playing on her lips. "We're walking. Fifth Avenue is right over there."

"What about a bodyguard?" Gabriel's dark eyes transform into a stormy gray, mirroring the drizzling gray skies outside.