An Ending

Gabriel

Andre trails behind me as we navigate through the house, bombarding me with question after question. The last thing I want to do is talk. To anyone.

"Sir, the probation officer assigned to your father's case is available for a meeting tomorrow. That means," he taps on his tablet, "you'll have to reschedule the closing on the shopping mall. Additionally, you have a call with Alessandro at three. We might have to push that back."

"Fine." Restless, I feel like a captive creature in this suffocating mansion.

"Also, it's the anniversary of your grandfather's passing. Do you still want flowers for his gravesite?"

"Yes."

"Sir, can you please stop for a moment? I can't talk, walk, and type at the same time."

I pause, taking a long, deep breath. "Andre, I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. My plan is to sit outside and drown myself in liquor, and you're more than welcome to join me."

Andre stops, studying my face. He knows me better than anyone else and can sense that today isn't my best day. "I have some spreadsheets to work on in the office. Perhaps it would be best if I focus on those."

I nod and resume my steps. After a day filled with endless meetings, I'm utterly drained.

"One more thing, sir?"

"Save it for tomorrow. Whatever it is, it can wait until then." Waving my hand dismissively, I make my way to the outdoor lounge area. Helping myself to a glass of Scotch, I sink into the plush cushions of the rattan sofa and gaze at the pool. The darkness envelopes the surroundings, and the deafening chorus of cicadas fills the air.

I have so much on my mind. My father, above all. He's due to be released from prison in a week. Then there's the constant challenge of managing the family business. But I can't shake the conversation I had with Riley in New York. It's etched into my mind, and every time I recall it, I feel seared.

"Do you think this relationship is good for you?"

"I...don't...know," she had said.

The realization that our relationship may not be beneficial for Riley, that it might not be positive or perfect, tears me apart. With other women, their physical satisfaction mattered. And yes, I wanted them to live their best lives so I often contributed to their financial well-being, especially if they or their families were in need.

But with Riley? I want her to feel extraordinary. Like a queen. Like the sun and the moon rise and set around her existence.

Yet, the one thing I cannot sacrifice is my family's business. Once you're part of the Mafia, it's nearly impossible to escape its grasp.

I take a sip of my Scotch and sprawl on the sofa. What am I going to do about Riley? Can we have a healthy relationship despite my ties to the Mafia?

Deep down, I know the answer to that question. And as much as I detest it, I also know what I must do. It's essential if I don't want my heart broken.

# # #

Riley

When I let myself into Gabriel's house, the place is silent. Eerily so. I expect Reese to come pitter-pattering in on his little dog feet, but then I remember it's the night he spends with the housekeeper so she can take him for grooming early in the morning.

Which means it's likely that it's only Gabriel and me here in the house. Well, and the bodyguards. But they're almost invisible, flitting around the property and making sure everything's secure.