Unwelcome News

Gabriel

"Where are you going? It's only seven. I thought we weren't going home until later?" Riley's voice, heavy with the remnants of sleep, reaches my ears. She raises her head from the cozy fortress of blankets and pillows that surround her. It's early on a Sunday morning, and she's still cocooned in the luxurious embrace of our New York hotel suite.

I'm awake and ready to start my day.

"I'm going to have breakfast with my sister, remember?" I reach for the card key. "I figured you'd want to sleep in or order room service here. Relax a bit before we fly back to Florida."

My intention is to have a private conversation with my sister, away from prying eyes and questioning glances. That's why I chose not to include Riley in my morning plans. Besides, I sense that Riley isn't entirely sure what to make of Mia. My sister is an acquired taste, and I'm not certain if Riley has developed the palate to appreciate that unique flavor just yet.

"Oh, right. I forgot." Riley rolls over, her back now facing me as she sinks into the duvet. A fleeting moment of hesitation lingers in the air, urging me to question my next move. Should I say goodbye with a kiss? In the past, it would have been an instinctive act, devoid of any doubt, as easy as breathing air.

But after the strange turn our weekend has taken here in New York, I find myself grappling with uncertainty. Finally, I succumb to the irresistible pull, unable to resist the sight of her. She's like a sleepy angel with tangled blonde hair amidst the tousled bedding.

"Bye, sweetie," she whispers, as my lips brush her temple. "Mmm, you smell so good."

I press a gentle kiss to her bare shoulder, feeling the urge to crawl back into bed with her fuck her until we have to leave. Riley seems to sense my unspoken desire, shifting her body so that she lies on her back, her chest exposed and vulnerable. Her nipples, like teasing peaks, taunt me.

I yield to temptation, lowering my head to enclose my lips around one taut bud. She inhales sharply, her back arching in response. "Gabriel, don't start something you can't finish."

Reluctantly, I release her nipple, my gaze meeting hers. In the past, a smirk or a witty remark would have effortlessly escaped my lips. But ever since our conversation the other night, I find myself uncertain of how to communicate with her. Yeah, I'm still seething over that discussion. How can she not comprehend the depth of my feelings, my unwavering devotion, my sole desire to keep her safe?

"You're right," I admit, gently drawing the duvet to cover her gorgeous tits. "I shouldn't tease you. Besides, I really need to get going. See you in a few hours."

As I step toward the doorway, Riley sits up, her voice filled with unspoken vulnerability. "Gabriel?"

I pause, my hand resting on the doorknob. "Yes?" I turn, granting her my full attention.

"Where are you going? Just so I know. In case... well, you know." Her voice quivers, as if she's going to burst into tears.

In that moment, my anger recedes, eclipsed by the understanding of the trauma she's endured in recent weeks. I can't fault her for that.

"I'll be downstairs, in the restaurant. I'm not leaving the building. One bodyguard will come with me, while the other will stay here for you."

She nods, biting her lip, a flicker of anxiety dancing in her eyes. "Okay. Have fun."

I walk out, descending in the elevator until I find my sister in the back of the restaurant. She's already ordered a carafe of coffee, thank fuck. I probably need an IV to get me going. The restaurant is bustling, because obviously everyone here is clamoring to spend forty bucks on a bagel and lox.