A Deal With the Devil

GABRIEL

Her hand falls from my face, and I brace myself for her next words, each syllable heavy with an unspoken weight.

"Have you..."

My gaze lingers on hers, holding my breath for what comes next, the air thick with anticipation.

"Have I what?"

"Have you killed someone since... you know what? Never mind. I don't need to know. That's your business." She shakes her head, distancing herself, unraveling her hair from its tight bun.

"Babe, I..." My hands find their way to her knees, words catching in my throat. "This is hard. I've never opened up like this to anyone."

"We don't have to." Her sigh is a gust of resolve, and she moves toward the balcony, the wind teasing her golden locks. She wears a simple, flowing dress, ethereal in pale blue. My heart aches at her beauty, the fear of losing her gnawing at me.

But honesty is my debt to her, especially if we're to walk this path together.

I join her by the railing.

"I'll answer anything."

She turns, securing her hair with a tie she always keeps handy, a cascade of blonde falling into a ponytail.

"I'm not sure I want to know."

I nod, understanding the weight of the unspoken.

"I get that."

Facing the city's skyline, she breaks the silence.

"What was it like, to take a life?"

"Riley, it's... complex. It's not a thrill or a joy. It's a darkness that lingers," I confess, heavy with the morning's burdens. "It's part of the world I've lived in."

"Your world. Not mine," she retorts sharply.

"I promised, I'll try to steer clear of such... dark paths."

She nods, turning back to meet my eyes. "I don't ever want to hear about it. Don't bring it to me, don't let anyone, not even your father, mention it. I don't want to know."

"And you shouldn't."

"Gabriel, I'm here with you. Only you. You're my beacon, the light in my life. Cheesy, I know, but it's true." She draws closer, hands circling my waist. "I don't want these thoughts, and I wish your father hadn't opened this door."

I envelop her, pressing a kiss to her hair, my heart racing from this dialogue. Curse my father for sowing these seeds. "Do you think less of me?"

She pulls away, locking eyes with me. "No."

The tension between us eases. I can feel the muscles in my shoulders relax.

"Gabriel..." Her voice holds a tinge of reluctance, her eyes seeking reassurance in mine.

I dip my head to kiss her. She tastes like coffee and smiles against my mouth.

"I need to get to work soon," she whispers.

"I know. I just wanted one more taste of you." I trace the line of her jaw.

A faint smile graces her lips. "I'll see you later. Just... be careful."

"I will. I also need to put on a shirt." Our fingers intertwine and she grins. "Thank you, Riley. For being so good, for understanding."

Her gaze softens. "You're worth it, Gabriel."

As I drive home, I replay our conversation in my mind. There's only one conclusion, something that comes to me over and over.

I don't deserve her.