Goodbye, For Real

RILEY

"I can't do this, Gabriel."

We're in the backseat of the rented SUV, sitting on the street outside a tidy three-story brownstone in Boston's Back Bay. It's not far from the hotel, in fact. This is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, but I don't care about all that now.

I don't care about a damn thing other than the fact I'm about to say goodbye to Gabriel

"You won't be here for long. Just enough time for the new passport and ID cards. We're also ironing out a place for you to live and a job. I want everything to be taken care of for you. For a long time."

"I can't do any of this without you."

Gabriel presses his nose into my cheek. "You can, and you will. You're strong. You're a survivor."

"But I don't want to, without you."

"Babe, please. I don't want to do any of this without you, either. But there's no other alternative."

After Gabriel explained the plan in the hotel room, I begrudgingly agreed to go along. It's not a terrible plan, I guess. Other than the fact that my entire life is about to change.

My career? Gone.

Plans for a wedding? Canceled.

Living with my soul mate? Not going to happen. Maybe ever.

The attorneys then showed up and answered more questions, and eventually, his friend Giovanni appeared. Apparently, he's an attorney too, a consigliere to a mafia family. He's an integral part of the plan and is every bit as connected as Gabriel.

Now we're outside Gio's mother's home. It's where I'll be staying anywhere from two days to two weeks, while I wait for my new identity.

"Come on, let's go meet Mrs. Scalzi. She's a nice lady and will take care of you," Gabriel says with a wan smile. He's trying to make the best of this for me, and I applaud him for putting on a bold front.

I'm on the verge of breaking down, and frankly, I'm not even sure how I've made it this long.

Trembling, I slide out of the SUV. I hold Gabriel's hand tightly, feeling the weight of impending separation crushing my chest. Every step feels heavier than the last. The rain falls in a drizzle, the sky is the color of a fresh bruise, and it all mirrors my mood.

Giovanni, looking solemn, waits at the entrance. His gaze meets mine with a mix of empathy and understanding.

"Thanks, man," Gabriel murmurs. Gio pats him on the back.

"Riley, this is Mrs. Scalzi," Gabriel introduces a petite, silver-haired woman. Her eyes sparkle with warmth despite the gravity of the situation.

"Please, call me Nonna," she says, her Italian-accented voice soothing like a lullaby. "You will be welcome in my home as long as you want."

I force a smile, feeling a lump form in my throat. The overwhelming kindness from this stranger unsettles me, a stark contrast to the turmoil bubbling inside my body.

"Come, dear. I'll make us some espresso," Nonna gestures, leading us through the narrow corridor into a cozy living room. Even though this home is likely worth many millions of dollars, it's something right out of Grandma 101.

The aroma of brewed coffee and freshly baked cookies is everywhere.

I steal a glance at Gabriel, his jaw clenched in an attempt to mask his emotions. Our eyes meet, silently communicating the words we can't bring ourselves to say aloud. The weight of our unspoken goodbye hangs heavy in the air, suffocating me with the bitter reality of our situation.