Chapter 4

Emma

Standing at the edge of Marina Park, my heart warms as I take in the bustling scene before me. The child's fair event José thoughtfully put together is in full swing.

Laughter and the sweet aroma of cotton candy fill the air. Colorful balloons float gracefully in the breeze, and the cheerful music in the distance sets the perfect backdrop for a day filled with laughter and joy.

Exactly what the children need after the trauma that had invaded their lives.

"You look like a proud mama bear standing here by yourself." Asher's voice comes from beside me, and I can't help but smile as I turn to him. He's got his camera around his neck and a glint of mischief in his eyes.

"You came." I let out a deep breath. "I wasn't sure you'd actually show up."

"Extra salty." He hands me a bag of popcorn with a small smile. "Just the way you like it."

"Is it another apology bribe?" I ask, noticing the slight nervousness in his eyes.

"We need to talk about David's idea." He sighs, looking down.

"Right." I munch on the popcorn. "His crazy idea where he suggested I married you."

"Yeah." He turns to me, a spark passing between us when our eyes lock. "As a business arrangement that could benefit us both."

"Asher..." I swallow, feeling my cheeks heat as his gaze lingers on me.

"It would be a strictly business–"

"No way," I cut him off, my heart pounding in my chest. Until a short time ago, I had convinced myself that I'd never see him again. I can't even process the idea of marrying him. Business arrangement or not.

"You would get a one-million-dollar deposit on your personal account straight away, plus a prenup where you would never have to worry about money again." He swallows hard, his eyes searching mine.

"Do you really think that I'd sell myself—"

"No." He shakes his head. "But I think you're a smart and compassionate woman."

"You're out of your mind if you think I'll ever say yes to this." I scoff.

"I know your father cut you off...." he whispers, making me gasp. "You could at least hear what I have to say."

"I don't need your money." I raise my chin, my heart racing as I hold his gaze.

"Not you, no..." He turns to the children, his arms crossing over his chest.

"How dare you..." I start, but before I can say anything else, José spots us in the crowd and walks in our direction. His eyes narrow slightly as he looks at Asher, but he quickly hides any negative emotions, putting on a friendly façade.

"Hey there, Asher! So glad you could make it," José says, shaking Asher's hand rather forcefully. "Since you're here, why don't you join in on the fun with the kids? We're playing a game of silly charades, and I bet you'll have a blast."

"Sure thing." Asher nods, his eyes meeting mine right before José leads them to the activity area where a group of children is gathered, giggling and waiting eagerly.

"Alright, here's how it works," José explains, a wicked glint in his eyes. "You have to act out the words or phrases written on these cards without speaking, and the kids have to guess what you're trying to convey."

"All right." Asher stretches his neck, waggling his eyebrows at the kids.

"Here you go." José hands Asher a card.