Chapter 15

Asher

My heart is pounding its way out of my chest as I make my way to the conference room.

Just minutes ago, my PA sent me a link with pictures of Emma, and the urge to drop everything and rush to her side was overwhelming, even though I knew it was irrational. After all, she'd done nothing wrong.

The hint of familiarity I saw in that man's eyes when he looked at Emma bothered me more than I care to admit. And the way he seemed to hang on her every word, while I was stuck in a never-ending meeting was ridiculous.

We arrived at the company early today, and the tension in the air was palpable.

Max, despite his attempts to play it cool, has been a bundle of nerves all day.

My head feels like it might explode, but there's nothing more I can do. It's up to the board now to decide the company's future.

The grand mahogany table stands as a silent witness to the forthcoming decision the board is about to make. I can't help but feel its imposing presence as I make my way inside the room.

As the board members take their seats, my heart races. I glance around the room, taking in their expressions. Some appear resolute, while others still harbor doubt. Henry's scowl hasn't lessened, and his eyes remain locked onto mine with a vicious intensity.

Max, although recovering, remains seated at the head of the table, ready to oversee the proceedings. "Ladies and gentlemen," he begins, his voice steady, "it's time to cast our votes."

One by one, the board members begin to cast their votes. Their choices remain hidden, known only to themselves and the universe. The suspense is almost unbearable, and the room is shrouded in silence.

My pulse quickens with each paper ballot that falls into the box. I resist the urge to glance at Henry, whose eyes seem to bore into me. Instead, I keep my gaze down, counting the minutes until this is over.

Once the last vote is cast, Max stands and addresses the room. "Thank you all for your participation. We'll now tally the votes."

The tension in the air tightens even further as the delicate process of counting the ballots begins. Seconds feel like an eternity, and I swear I've never been so anxious in my life.

Finally, Max clears his throat and speaks. "The results are in."

The room is silent, expectant, as Max continues, "The board has voted in favor of Asher Sullivan serving as the interim CEO of Sullivan Inc."

A wave of relief washes over me, and I let out a deep breath. Henry's scowl deepens, and anger pours off him as he leaves the room without saying a word to me.

But I've proven myself. I don't owe him anything.

The next few minutes blur into a whirlwind of congratulations and business discussions.

I feel like I'm having an out-of-the-body experience; as if the scene unfolding before me is a dream I'm about to wake up at any moment now.

Max's laughter draws me back to reality. He's chuckling at something someone told him but suddenly his eyes meet mine from across the room. Pride and relief fill his gaze.

The board's decision marks a new chapter in my life where I will lead the company and protect our family's legacy.

And I have no idea how I ended up here.

*****

It's almost seven when I pull up in front of the shelter. An hour later than I told Emma I'd be here. It was a struggle to tear myself away from the mountain of work on my desk and ignore the stack of emails and messages clamoring for my attention.