Chapter 37

Emma

My eyelids flutter open, and I'm immediately met with the harsh glare of fluorescent lights above me.

The sudden brightness makes me squint, trying to shield my eyes from the overwhelming glare.

As my vision adjusts, I become aware of the sterile scent of antiseptic that permeates the air, mingling with the soft hum of a piece of equipment.

Slowly, the haze of unconsciousness lifts, and I find myself lying in a hospital bed.

Panic flares briefly as I struggle to recall how I ended up here, but then a familiar figure comes into focus beside me.

Relief floods through me as I recognize my brother Aiden, his face etched with concern and relief.

"Emma, you're awake!" Aiden's voice cuts through the fog of confusion, his words a soothing balm to my disoriented mind. I try to respond, but my throat feels dry and scratchy, making it difficult to form coherent words.

Noticing my discomfort, Aiden reaches for a glass of water on the bedside table, his movements gentle and reassuring. He helps me take small sips, easing the dryness in my throat and allowing me to speak again.

"Where... where am I?" My voice is barely a whisper, barely audible even to my ears. The events leading up to this moment feel like fragmented pieces of a puzzle, scattered and disconnected in my mind.

"You're in the hospital, Em. You passed out, but the doctors say you're going to be okay. Let me call the nurses."Aiden's hand rests reassuringly on mine as he explains, his voice steady despite the underlying worry.

As he pushes a button to summon the nurses, I nod slowly, trying to piece together the memories that flit through my mind like elusive shadows.

Before I can dwell on those harrowing memories, a knock on the door interrupts our conversation, and a nurse enters the room. Her friendly smile and calming presence ease some of the tension that has gripped me since waking up.

"Hello, I'm Tina," she introduces herself, her voice warm and reassuring. "I'm here to check your vitals and make sure everything's stable. How are you feeling, Emma?"

Her kindness is a welcome contrast to the sterile environment of the hospital room. "I'm... okay," I reply weakly, offering her a faint smile.

"That's great to hear." She finishes her assessment, her professional demeanor putting me at ease. "Your doctor will be in shortly to talk to you," she informs me before leaving the room.

As the door closes behind her, Aiden settles back into the chair beside my bed, his eyes filled with concern. "Em, sweetheart," he begins, his voice soft yet steady. "Do you remember what happened?"

The floodgates of memory open as if on cue, and I remember the terrifying events with startling clarity. "Zack... he kidnapped me," I say, my voice trembling with residual fear. "Asher came to rescue me, but then there was a gunshot, and everything went black."

Aiden's expression softens, but there's a steely resolve in his gaze. "It was a chaotic scene. Zack had a gun. Asher tried to protect you, but he got hurt..."

"What?" Tears start streaming down my face as the fear and helplessness of that moment wash over me once more. "Where is he? I need to see him! Is he going to be okay?"

Aiden's expression falters momentarily before he regains his composure. "He's in surgery, Emma. The doctors are doing everything they can. We just have to wait."

Desperation surges through me, and I try to sit up. My movements are frantic, and my vision is blurred, but I need to do something. An imperative need to see Asher floods my senses, but soon the room starts spinning, and I need to take a deep breath to steady myself.