Chapter 32

Asher

As I drive to New Jersey, my heart races with a mix of anticipation and anxiety. The road ahead is dimly lit, the headlights of passing cars illuminating the path before me. I grip the steering wheel tightly, feeling the weight of my desperation pushing me forward.

It's almost nine in the evening when I finally arrive at Clare's grandmother's house. It's a modest house, nestled amongst others on a quiet street.

Parking the car. I take a deep breath, steeling myself for what lies ahead.

With every step towards the front door, my heart pounds in my chest, echoing the urgency of my hunt.

I knock on the door, my hand trembling slightly. Seconds feel like an eternity as I wait for a response.

Finally, the door creaks open, revealing a startled familiar face.

"Asher!" Clare's eyes widen as she tries to close the door, but I use my hand and the weight of my body to force it open.

"Don't even think about it!" I warn, grabbing her arm when she tries to run.

"What are you doing here?" Clare's frantic gaze darts around, probably thinking about how she can make an escape.

I need to take a couple of deep breaths as I look at her. I've never been a violent person, but my whole body is pulsing with rage.

"Start talking," I demand, my voice a low hiss as I lock eyes with her.

"You're hurting me." She cries out, struggling against my grip.

"I swear to God, Clare..." I shake my head. "If you don't start talking right now..."

"My grandmother is really sick, and she's sleeping upstairs... " She breathes, tears falling freely from her eyes. "Please."

My eyes dart to the stairs leading to the second floor, and I shake my head in frustration. "Fine. Let's talk in the car." I say, not releasing my hold on her.

She looks around the room for a second as if thinking about a way to get out of this situation, but I don't give her much option and practically drag her to the car.

"You don't need to lock the doors..." she whispers once we're both inside.

"Talk. Now."

"My grandmother has hemophilia," she begins, her voice quivering. "It's a genetic disorder, and she's been battling it for years. The medical bills are astronomical, and we've been struggling to keep up with the expenses. I did what I did because I was desperate, Asher."

My hands tighten on the steering wheel, a mix of anger and frustration bubbling within me. "Who's behind this? Who's paying you?"

Clare lowers her gaze, tears streaming down her cheeks. "It's complicated, Asher. If I tell you—"

"Who is fucking paying you?" I punch the steering wheel, her reluctance only serving to fuel my fury.

"Asher..."

I turn to her, making sure she sees it in my eyes that I'm not playing around. "I swear to God if you don't start talking, I'll drag you straight to the police station and you'll never see the light of day again."

She looks down; her tears a silent admission of guilt. "Henry and Emma's father are working on a plan to get you out of the CEO position."

"What?"

"Henry wants to take your place and they think if they can get you out of the picture, it'll be easier for James to win his campaign for governor since he'll have Henry's support." She blurts out. "They're planning to merge some of their businesses, and they needed me to gather evidence to discredit you."