Chapter 11

Asher

Inhaling deeply, I draw in Emma's sweet scent. Even after all these years, she still carries that same intoxicating fragrance that I find impossible to resist.

Out of all the scenarios I had envisioned for tonight, finding myself in Emma's bed with her wrapped around me was definitely unexpected.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.

"I had no idea you were coming back," Emma says, her voice a hushed murmur. "In my mind, you'd be away forever."

"Right after I left, I was so... lost, you know?" I whisper. "Dad had just passed away, and you and I had that big fight a week before I left. Do you remember that?"

"We were so young..." She lets out a long, regretful sigh. "And I was too afraid to stand up to my father."

"God, I felt so guilty for leaving, but I was also so angry that you wanted a break." I close my eyes, feeling the weight of my regret as I reflect on how my emotions had distorted my judgment. Back then, I had convinced myself that she was better off with Max; that I didn't belong here. Somehow, it made it easier for me to leave.

"I didn't know what to do." She releases a shuddering breath. "When you said you wanted to leave everything behind, I panicked."

"I shouldn't have left the way I did." I turn to face her, adjusting our bodies so we're facing each other.

"I want to make this work between us," she says, her voice laced with sincerity. "But I won't lie and say that seeing you again didn't hurt. So much has happened after you left, and I just—"

"Just?"

"I miss our friendship." She gives me a small smile. "We were good friends once, Ash."

"You keep saying that..." I cup her jaw, searching her eyes. "That you want us to be friends."

"You don't want that?" She frowns, and a soft chuckle escapes me. I know that, in theory, she's right, but the truth is that I have no idea how to do that. No matter how hard I try, I can't see her as just a friend. She means too much more to me.

"Our little rule book doesn't allow me to say what I really want." I take a deep breath as my hands slide down her neck, feeling the tension in her muscles melt away.

"Ash..." she says with a hint of annoyance, but I can tell by the subtle changes in her breathing and the blush that has spread across her face that she is not as unaffected as she wants me to believe.

"I wish I could go back in time," I murmur, pulling her close so our noses are almost touching. "I wish things were simpler."

"I know the feeling." She smiles, her palms pressing against my chest.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Would you have married Max if he was the one in need of a wife right now?" My heart pounds hard against my ribcage as I ask her the question that has consumed me since we got entangled in this deal.

"Ash..." She tries to move away, but my hand on the nape keeps her in place, my touch gentle but firm as I make her look at me.

"I didn't marry him back then when our fathers pushed us to be together..." She holds my gaze. "Why would I marry him now?"

"Things are different now..." I say, noticing my chest feels ten thousand times lighter now.

"You told me you left because you thought I'd be happier with Max." She scoffs. "I can't believe you're still jealous of him."