Chapter 2

Asher

My heart pounds in my chest as I watch Emma's eyes widen in disbelief and her lips part in shock. It's been years since I last saw her, and the rush of emotions flooding through me is overwhelming.

"Asher, I'm glad you're back," David starts, but whatever he's saying fades into the background, and the rest of the world seems to blur out of focus.

I can't take my eyes off her.

She's as captivating as ever, but there's something different about her now. Her curly black hair is longer, gently falling over her back. The contours of her cheeks are more defined, enhancing her natural beauty. Those big brown eyes still make you feel like the most important person in the world. But now, her gaze has this whole new level of confidence and depth that makes her even more alluring.

Damn! This girl used to light up my entire world.

Swallowing hard, my gaze roams over her body, and everything in me awakens to life. In a second, my mind is filled with the memory of her scent and the feel of her skin beneath my hands.

My mouth is suddenly dry, and my heartbeat too quick.

I want to kiss her.

Hard.

I want to reach out and pull her to me so badly, it hurts to stay put.

Jesus!

I thought I had moved on.

I thought I was over this woman.

With a mixture of frustration and longing, I find myself grappling with emotions I thought were buried deep inside. I had convinced myself that the feelings I once had for her were nothing more than memories of the past.

I never expected this.

Truth be told, I never thought I'd find myself back in New York. Max's call about his severe car accident took me by surprise. I didn't know that the family business would be at stake, with Max's health deteriorating to the point where stepping down temporarily from his CEO position was the only viable option.

Turns out, the board wants Henry, our scumbag stepbrother, to take over as interim, and the only next logical step to save our family members is to convince the board I'm the best fit to replace my brother.

But I need to be married.

Max, who was groomed by our father from birth, was undoubtedly the most logical choice to take over the reins of the family business when our father passed away. He met every stipulation and condition. So, even though he was only twenty-seven years old and single when our father died, he had already proven himself worthy and easily assumed the role of CEO.

I don't even need to say how different our situations are.

While Max embraced the corporate world, I've always been the wanderer of the family. As a photographer, my passion lies in expedition and exploration. I don't belong in the corporate world. Over the years, I've had the privilege of capturing the beauty of each corner of the globe, cherishing the freedom and independence that comes with my job.

So, imagine my surprise when just a few minutes ago, Max's team told me they were contemplating a marriage of convenience between me and Emma, of all people.

Emma.

Jesus Christ!

As David's suggestion hangs in the air, I can almost hear the unspoken questions in her mind. The past is like a ghost hanging around, throwing shadows of nostalgia and remorse. Every misstep, every bit of heartache, is now suspended in the air, creating a kind of shared history that neither of us can escape.