Chapter 9

Asher

Even though it's been hours since I left my meeting with the board and the PR team, I'm still running on adrenaline as I pull over to Emma's place to pick her up for the charity gala.

Max insisted I got a limo service since it would be my first public appearance with Emma, but I needed some sense of normality after this tumultuous day so I drove here myself.

I know I'll have to get used to all the fuss that comes with this new life, but I'll hold on while I can.

Standing at her doorstep, I take a deep breath as she swings the door open. Damn, when will this woman stop affecting me like this?

She's wearing a champagne satin gown that hugs her curves just right, and her hair is up in a fancy updo that highlights her delicate features. But it's the sight of her lips, coated in a deep shade of red, that makes my cock twitch in my pants.

Fuck. A jolt of pure carnal need runs through my veins as I imagine her lips wrapping around my cock. Exactly what I don't need right now.

"Hey," I murmur when my eyes finally meet hers. "Are you ready to go?"

"Sure." She gives me a knowing smile as she turns to lock the door behind her.

"Jesus..." I mumble to myself, mentally going over the damn ground rules we came up with. The back of her dress has got this deep V-shape that starts high up but then dips down, revealing the curve of her spine. It goes without saying that it fucks with my head in a hundred different ways.

"Did you say anything?" She turns to me.

"Aren't you going to feel cold?" I clear my throat, wondering how I'm going to survive tonight.

She raises her eyebrows. "I'll be fine."

"You look amazing, by the way." I extend my hand to her.

"Thanks." She smiles, her hand wrapping around mine. "I like the tux, too."

As we settle in the car, I clear my throat, trying to think about something that doesn't involve me kissing her. "How was the rest of your day?"

"Long, but extremely productive." I feel her gaze on me. "Max stopped by the shelter before we wrapped things up for the day and helped me figure out some issues we were having with the construction company we hired."

"Oh." I steal a glance at her. "He didn't mention anything."

"It was a quick visit," she says. "He said he's confident the board will give you a chance to prove yourself."

"Yeah..." I frown, my heart kicking in my chest. "I hope you were able to sort everything out with the construction company?"

"Max thinks we should renegotiate the contract, so we've arranged another meeting for next week." She sighs. "We'll see how things go."

"I didn't realize he was so involved in the shelter..." I turn to her as we pull over to the event.

"He's been really helpful," she says, her eyes darting to the busy streets. "We've been swamped with work."

"I can't even imagine." I force a smile on my lips. There's no reason at all for me to get upset about Max helping her out. Especially when I've been so caught up with the company's problems that I haven't managed to help her myself. But as much as I try to pretend I'm fine, I can easily recognize the feeling running through my veins now: jealousy.

Stupid and unreasonable. I know.

Stepping out of the car, I quickly move to open the passenger door for her. A valet appears by my side, ready to take over, and the moment my hand touches Emma's, a sudden burst of light fills the air.