Chapter 36

Asher

The conference room is buzzing with discussions. Charts are spread across the table and the air is filled with energy as we delve into the details of a crucial business deal.

I never thought I'd actually enjoy any of this, but seeing the results of my efforts, along with everyone working with me, is incredibly fulfilling. It's amazing how this newfound focus has transformed my perspective. What was once a daunting and tiresome endeavor has become a source of enthusiasm and satisfaction.

It's true I have a lot on my plate right now with James, Henry, and Clare, but being so open with Emma yesterday has definitively grounded me. I don't know how I'll deal with them yet, but I was able to get Clare to disappear for a few days while I figure things out.

The vibration of my phone snaps me out of my thoughts.

Glancing at the caller ID, I see Lincoln's name flash on the screen. With a sinking feeling in my gut, I excuse myself from the meeting and step outside to take the call.

"Lincoln, what's going on?" I ask.

"It's Emma. She's disappeared." Lincoln's words hit me like a sledgehammer.

My heart lurches into my throat. "What do you mean disappeared? How is that possible?"

"We were at the retreat and everything was fine. But then she went to the restroom and never came back. I've already contacted our security team, but we can't find her anywhere," Lincoln explains, his voice strained with worry.

"Keep searching every inch of that place. Check the cameras, talk to everyone who was there. Find her, Lincoln. Now," I say, my mind racing with worst-case scenarios.

"I'm on it, sir. I'll update you as soon as we have any leads," Lincoln promises, before ending the call.

My head is a mess as I quickly end the meeting and head to my car.

The drive to the rooftop where the retreating was taking place is a blur of worry and frustration. I'm trying to stay calm, but my mind is racing with a million possibilities, each more terrifying than the last.

The phone in my hand feels heavier than usual as I dial Max's number. Each ring feels like an eternity until finally, his voice crackles through the line.

"Hey, Asher, what's up?" His tone is casual, unaware of the storm brewing in my world.

"Max, listen, it's Emma," I blurt out, willing my heart to stop beating so fast.

There's a pause on the other end, and I can almost hear Max holding his breath. "What about Emma? Is she okay?"

"She's disappeared," I say, the words tasting bitter on my tongue. "She was at a retreat thing, but then she went to the restroom and never came back. Lincoln's already on it, but we need all hands on deck."

Silence follows, the weight of the situation sinking in for both of us. "Send me your location. I'll meet you there," Max finally says, his voice filled with determination.

"Thanks, Max. Hurry." I hastily end the call, my knuckles turning white as I tighten my grip on the steering wheel, pressing harder on the gas pedal.

As soon as I park the car, I make our way inside the building to Lincon and the rest of the team is gathered. The atmosphere is charged with tension. Security staff are coordinating search patterns, reviewing surveillance footage, and questioning witnesses, but Emma is nowhere to be found.

My heart sinks, and a wave of anger washes over me. How did the hell did this happen?

I head straight to the security office, where some of the security team are reviewing the footage. As soon as I see Lincoln, a surge of anger and disappointment washes over me.