Chapter 24

Emma

Everything hurts.

My face, from the constant smile I've plastered all night. My body, from physically restraining myself so I wouldn't go running after Asher. And my heart, from knowing I've hurt the man I love.

"Emma?" My brother finds me outside, and I break down the moment he touches my shoulder. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." I shake my head, running a finger under my eyes.

"Why are you crying?" he cups my chin, so I look at him. "Where's Asher?"

"We had a fight." I pull away from his touch and start walking inside. "He saw Milo and Dad talking and..."

"Emma, stop." Aiden grabs my hand, preventing me from walking inside the ballroom. "What the hell are you doing? Why would you allow Dad to–"

"Nothing is going on, Aiden." I hold his gaze. "Can we please go back inside?"

"You know I'm here for you–"

"Aiden." I close my eyes for a second. "Everything is fine. I promise."

"Okay," he says, and the audible sigh that leaves him lets me know he's not happy with me right now.

Grabbing his hand, I ignore the way my heart is pounding and walk back inside. Too much is at stake, and the last thing I need right now is to get him involved in this mess.

"Emma!" My father finds me a moment later. "Where is Asher? I'd like for him to say a few words."

"He's gone," I say with a practiced smile on my face.

"What do you mean?" I hear the accusatory tone in his voice, but I just shake my head and grab a glass of champagne from a passing server.

"You brought Milo Montgomery here." I look at him. "What did you expect?"

He shrugs as if he didn't know what he was doing when he invited the man here today. "Well, it's time The Sullivans move on. We're about to embark on a powerful journey, and Milo has a lot to contribute to us."

I tune him out after that. My head is about to explode, but I force myself to keep my side of the deal. At some point, my father leaves my side, and I feel like I can finally breathe again.

Taking a deep breath, I try to clear my head. My eyes find Max across the room, and the way he holds my gaze makes me shiver.

He's pissed. Obviously. But there's something else behind the indifference mask he's wearing. Disappointment. Without thinking, I walk to him, and he shakes his head, silently motioning for me to follow him to a quiet area.

"I'm sorry, Max," I say, pulling a chair for me to sit so we're at eye level. "I had no idea my father was planning to invite Milo."

He narrows his eyes. "Are you sure about that?"

"What do you mean?" I frown. "Of course, I didn't."

"Well, that's funny..." He searches my eyes. "I just talked to Milo, and he said he's planning to fund your father's campaign."

"I didn't know about that."

He nods. "And what about the check James wrote me this week with the exact amount of money we gave you so you could rebuild the shelter? Did you know about that?"

"What?" I gasp, clutching my chest.

Max tilts his head to the side. "And he also wanted to review your prenup."

"But he can't do that." I look at him in disbelief. "I've already signed everything. Ash and I are getting married tomorrow."

"He knew Asher wouldn't even talk to him, so he approached me, saying he was just trying to look after his daughter."