Chapter 34

Content Warning: This chapter contains descriptions of abusive and violent behavior, including harassment, coercion, and trauma associated with an abusive relationship.

 **** Reader discretion is advised ****

Emma

"Come here," Asher whispers as he draws me closer, wrapping his arm around me on the couch.

I nuzzle into his chest, inhaling his comforting scent that always feels like home. "I met Zack during a business dinner I was attending with my father," I say, my voice carrying the weight of memories I wished I could erase from my mind forever.

Asher tenses beside me but remains silent.

"At first, he seemed charming and caring," I continue. "It took me a while to see the signs that he was a toxic person. I would always find an excuse for his controlling behavior and dismiss my instinct."

Asher's grip on me tightens, his protective stance clear. Though he remains silent, his support is clear in the way he runs his hands over my back and arms.

"It took me a while to realize that his charm was just a façade," I admit, my voice trembling slightly. "But I kept making excuses for his behavior, hoping that things would change."

The memories of Zack's manipulation and emotional abuse invade me and my mind drifts back to the countless times Zack would tear me down, isolating me from those I loved.

"He would criticize and belittle my friends and family, making me question their intentions," I murmur, a tear escaping despite my efforts to stay composed. "And the invasion of privacy... it felt like I was suffocating, trapped in a web of his making."

Asher's steady heartbeat against my cheek reminds me I am safe now.

"I was blinded by his false affection," I whisper, tears now streaming down my cheeks. "I thought that his possessiveness was a twisted form of love. So, I convinced myself that if I just tried harder, things would change."

As I recount the dark chapters of my past, Asher's presence becomes my anchor, grounding me in the reality of the present, where I am no longer shackled by fear and manipulation.

"Aiden was the first to suspect something was wrong," I say, the memories flooding back with poignant clarity. "He noticed the bruises, the changes in my behavior, and he didn't turn a blind eye like I had hoped everyone else would."

I feel Asher's silent encouragement, urging me to continue. "One night, after Zack's relentless harassment escalated into violence, Aiden intervened," I say, my voice faltering slightly as I recall the tumultuous events. "He saw through Zack's facade, saw the monster lurking beneath him."

"He hit you?" Asher's voice is laced with horror, his body shaking.

Nodding, I continue. "Aiden didn't hesitate, though. He took me to the police and helped me file a report to ensure Zack faced the consequences of his actions."

"God, Em..." Asher's voice cracks with emotion as he kisses the top of my head and wraps his arms around me protectively.

"Zack didn't stop even after the legal actions," I say, knowing I need to be strong for this part. "His harassment continued and... One day he cornered me in the parking lot of a grocery store and... He blackmailed me with some naked pictures he took of me."

"He what?" Asher sits up straight, his eyes widening with a mix of anger and disbelief.

"He wanted to get back together and..."