Chapter 10

Emma

Everything fades into the background as I spot my father approaching us. His usually stoic face is contorted with anger, and I can't help but tense up. Despite the years of estrangement, I know him well enough to sense when a storm is brewing.

"Asher," he says, ignoring me. "I've heard a lot about you recently."

"James." Asher nods politely, but I can see the tension in his jaw. He's not fond of my father, and it's no secret that the feeling is mutual. After the heartache of losing his own father, Asher didn't hold back in letting my father know how he felt about him trying to set me up with Max. Needless to say, that encounter didn't end well.

My father's piercing gaze finally shifts to me, and I brace myself for the tirade that's about to come up. "Emma," he begins, his tone dripping with condescension, "I see you've chosen to throw yourself into another reckless endeavor."

I take a deep breath, struggling to maintain my composure. "This isn't the time or place for this conversation."

He lets out a humorless chuckle, his eyes hard on me. "How dare you get engaged without talking to me first?"

My patience wears thin, and I meet his gaze squarely. "I'm simply living on my terms."

My father's nostrils flare and his face reddens. "You've always been headstrong and foolish, just like your mother. And look where that got her."

I refuse to let his words wound me. My mother's memory is sacred, and I won't let him tarnish it further. "You have no right to bring her into this."

He leans in closer, his voice dropping to a dangerous whisper. "I think you're forgetting our agreement, Emma."

His words hang in the air, a chilling reminder of the pact we made years ago. It's a secret I've kept buried deep within me; a promise I never wanted to acknowledge. But now, he is using it against me.

Oh God, how could I have been so naive to think that he would just let me move on with my life? I should have known better. In my father's mind, it's all about him. He doesn't give a damn that I'm marrying Asher. He only cares about how it's going to affect him.

Asher arches an eyebrow, sensing the tension and the unspoken history between my father and me. I shoot him a subtle warning glance, silently begging him not to dig any deeper.

Swallowing hard, I lock eyes with my father. "I don't know what you're talking about."

A sinister smile curls on my father's lips as he steps closer. "You know exactly what I'm talking about, Emma. The time has come for you to fulfill your end of our deal."

My heart sinks, and a wave of shame washes over me. He's referring to a dark chapter in my life, one I've desperately tried to forget. It was born out of desperation, a lifeline I clung to when I had nowhere else to turn.

A couple of years after Asher left, I got entangled in an abusive relationship with Zach, a guy I met at a party I attended with my father. He was so charming and romantic at first that I couldn't have imagined the monster he hid behind his handsome face.

The fear and shame of being trapped with someone like him made it nearly impossible to seek help. But then, my brother came to visit one day and witnessed firsthand how cruel Zach could be.

He fought tooth and nail to rescue me, but when the police hit a dead end, he turned to our father, hoping to leverage his wealth and influence to ensure that my ex could never harm me again.

Our father readily provided the help I needed, but it obviously came with one condition—a condition that he would someday call in his favor.

And it appears that the time to repay my debt has finally arrived.