Chapter 21: Poor Baby

*8 months later*

It has officially been 8 months since my best friend was put into a coma. 8 months since I've heard her voice, saw her smile, or heard her laugh. I don't get to see a girl full of life any more. All I see is a fragile body, on a hospital bed. She hasn't made any improvement. None at all. And I'm beginning to lose hope. But I still have some hope that one day she'll wake up. That maybe one day I can hear her sarcastic comments about Emmett and I. Or actually see Kai smile again. Yeah. Kai went into depression mode after Bailey went into a coma. He never leaves the hospital. Hell. I wouldn't leave the hospital if I didn't have my 7 year old brother to take care of.

And Emmett. Emmett and I rarely talk. The first few months after Bailey went into a coma I shut everyone out except for Kyle. He was all I needed. Emmett tried to speak to me but I just couldn't find the energy to talk to him. I rarely ate and I didn't even speak to Kyle that much. But when I actually became a little better, like now. Emmett doesn't come around. He's always out. I think he's just trying to cope with everything. And I don't blame him. Bailey was his only friend when I didn't want anything to do with him. Bailey was our best friend. She was the glue that held every thing together. She made sure that Emmett and I didn't rip each other's heads off. It's sad because I never see Emmett visit her anymore. Or maybe he just visits when I'm not there. I guess we both just need our own space.

I sigh as I walk through the hospital doors. I asked one of Kyle's friends' parents if they could watch him for the weekend. And thankfully they like Kyle and happily agreed.

Today was the day I'm going to try to wake Bailey up. Again. The doctors told me that some patients that were in comas, woke up from a loved one talking to them. They said that it gave the person motivation to fight to wake up, or something along that line.

I walk into her room and see Kai sleeping on the couch by the window. So I go to wake him up and am hit by a foul smell. Ew. He really needs to shower.

"Kai" I try to shake him awake. But nothing.

"Kai..." I try again and he jolts up

"What? Did she wake up!" He asks rubbing his eyes

"No... But you need to shower. And brush your teeth. Go home Kai." I say holding my nose

"But what if she wakes up?" He tries to reason

"Then we will call you. Kai you need to go home, shower, and sleep. You've been her for far to long. The hospital water isn't even clean! You can't keep staying here, it's not healthy." I say and give him a final look

"But-" He tries but I give him a glare

"Okay" He sighs

"I will call you if anything changes" I say as he exits the room with a defeated look

"Okay let's do this" I say to myself

I sit down next to Bailey's bed and grab her hand.

"Hey Bails, It's me again. I really don't know if you can hear me in there but I miss you. A lot. We all miss you, even Emmett. I don't know if he visits you or not but I know that he misses you. I haven't seen him recently, he's always out at parties... But hey I just turned 18. I didn't have a party or anything because it didn't feel right without you. We can celebrate when you wake up..." I let out a nervous chuckle and continued "Bailey you need to wake up. Please? I miss you. Things aren't the same without you. Bailey...you promised you'd always be there for me. Well right now I need you here. I need you right now... Kai hasn't left the hospital since you went down. He feels responsible for what happens. Though I keep re-assuring him that it's not his fault, he still chooses not to believe me." I sniffle, I cry every time I talk to her "Remember when we were kids and we swore on our lives that we would be best friends forever? Remember when we promised to never lose hope in each other? It was when I almost shut you out, because my parents left me to take care of Kyle... We have all these promises that you need to keep with me Bailey. Please wake up. Please." I try to hold back my sob but I can't. I can't stay strong anymore. And before I know it, I'm having a full break down right next to my best friend.