19: Goodnight

Zhan had just finished showering and was lazily lying on his bed, when his phone rang. Work-related, certainly.

He was more than unfriendly when he answered the call. The German branch President, Mr. Han, was begging him to come back. 'How dare he.' Zhan thought after remembering it was the same person who had pushed him to get a five days leave of absence and now this old man's bad decision is coming back to him. Zhan forthwith told him he will stay in China for good.

"Mr. Wei! You can't do that! The German firm is threatening to cancel the partnership if it won't be you who will be leading the project." Mr. Han sounded so desperate.

Zhan actually like working with this other workaholic man. But right now, he is the least bit amused. "Ask them for a compensation. They have signed the agreement, correct? Backing out now means breaking the contract."

Mr. Han wanted to face-palm himself. "And the clause specifically said you will lead the project, Zhan! Therefore, it will be our company who would be at the disadvantage if this doesn't go through."

Hmmn. The casual hum made Mr. Han doubt whether Zhan has hit his head or something. "I'm still not coming back." Then he gave his ultimatum. "Tell them I will lead from here and visit occasionally. If they are too wilful, give them the money and ban them from ever collaborating with us again."

Mr. Han felt like fainting when the phone call got cut. Poor guy.

But Zhan's mood wasn't better. It was the first time in his career life that he did not feel like booting up his computer to log in on his work email. Before he was disturbed, he was too preoccupied of thinking about Yibo and suppressing his desires to just grab him and smash their lips and body together. Who could've known The Mighty-Zhan could one day be so affected, so attracted, and so crazy about an omega! He was actually quite dizzy thinking of him and how he could win him.

Not wanting to be idle anymore, Zhan swing his legs and curse Ning for giving him ideas earlier on.

It was already late at night but he is far from ready to get some sleep.

He found himself at the front of Yibo and A-Su's room, hand ready to knock. But then he realised it was past one in the morning. They had travelled quite long and they must be exhausted. Therefore, Zhan told himself he would just check on them and be quiet as a mouse.

And he did. He even removed his slippers and tiptoed his way in.

He never thought his heart could go this soft when he saw the father and son tandem. A-Su was sleeping right on top of Yibo's chest, hugging his Papa like a Koala whereas Yibo was still in a half sitting position, one hand with a bedtime book which seemed to be only finished halfway through and one hand gently on their son's back.

Zhan had to blink when he felt stinging on his eyes. It was such a tender sight and he suddenly wished he had found them sooner.

He sat at the edge of the bed and delicately ruffled Su-er's soft hair, planting a kiss on his head. He wished he had come to know him sooner. His son. His own flesh and blood.

Then he quietly removed the book from Yibo's hand, folding it on the side.

Under the dim orange lamplight, Yibo's features were made ever more enchanting. Zhan found himself leaning in. Like a moth, helpless and vulnerable. His hand cradled Yibo's face and his thumb grazed his cheek. 

Zhan never thought he could be this gentle. "Yibo..." his voice was so quiet but reeling. 

He further lean in, wanting to kiss this sleeping beauty. But he stopped, hand tightening into a ball, remembering how he had pushed Yibo away after that night of his selfishness. "I'm sorry."

He slowly withdrew, breathing slowly yet deeply as regrets kick in. 

Zhan decided he shouldn't rush. What he must, is to make amend first. Then, earn Yibo's trust. They can go further after that if Yibo is willing.

Tucking his desires away, he put his son and Yibo in a more comfortable position, ruffling the light brown tresses once more, wishing them Goodnight, before slowly walking away.

What Zhan didn't expect was Su-er crawling back on top of Yibo and groggily scratching his rounded head as he wished Zhan Goodnight too. "Goodnight, Gege." The little munchkin yawned and cuddled on Yibo again.

Hearing and watching these small actions, Zhan's chest felt undeniably warm. And though there are still traces of gloom in his eyes from regret, his lips finally formed a small smile.

Family. He thought as he walked back to his room. It felt nice.

--------------------

03/Sept/2023