1

Satan

I'm not going to say I hate my brother. It's not his fault. No part of me wants to blame him for my parent's mistakes. My parents made the choice to treat him differently than they treat me. My mom treats him like a five-year-old. Doing his laundry and picking up his clothes. Cleaning up after him and getting him whatever he wants. My brother is completely aware of the difference in treatment between us two. There's nothing he can do.

There's nothing he can do to stop my dad from coming into my room at night or my mom completely ignoring my existence. There's nothing I can do either. I'm stuck like this and have been since the day I was born.

Hi, my name is Satan. Yes like the actual devil. I think it is pretty obvious based on the way my parents treat me the reason for my name. I ended up being a girl which is unlucky if you live in a family like mine. I tried my best to overcome this and tell my parents I wasn't difficult but they wouldn't listen. And there's no way they will, considering how I'm mute.

They refuse to put me in therapy despite all my teachers' and counselors' suggestions. I've been mute ever since I was 7 and I haven't spoken since. I just can't do it, and I guess they don't care.

"SATAN GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE NOW!" my mother screamed from the bottom of the stairs. I'm currently getting ready for school and my mom thinks I should be making breakfast for everyone. Usually, I'm up on time, but my dad was rougher and I can barely walk. I spent the rest of the night sobbing and I'm still processing what he did. I put on my clothes and grab everything I need before heading downstairs from the attic. Yes, I live in the attic.

I went down the stairs and was greeted by a smack on the back of the head. I flinched and my head tilted down. "Get your ass down here at 6:00 and make breakfast. It's not that hard," Well it is considering what my father did to me the night before.

I've wanted to tell her but I can't speak and even being hurt won't help me talk. I think that's why my dad hasn't stopped, cause he knows I can't speak. I walk around the island and pull out the eggs and bacon from the fridge. I made bagels as well, and when everything was done. I plated it and walked away. I took a bagel to go and grabbed my backpack. I walked out of the house and towards the school. Another thing my parents made me do, was walk to school while they drove my brother. No, it's not the hour walk that I'm pissed about, it's the fact they are more than capable of taking me.

When I finally arrived at Starsign High, my high school was full of the average high schoolers; I made my way to my friend, Izzy. Izzy and I became friends in high school and ever since she realized my inability to talk she became friends with me. She reminded me that she's not friends with me because she feels bad but her brother goes through the same thing; she has protected me from anyone who tries something. She has made it her goal to help me say one thing, it hasn't happened yet and it most likely won't.

"Hey, S!" Izzy makes her way towards me in an olive green crop top and jeans. She calls me "S" based on my request. I'm not the biggest fan of my name and "S" is the only name I could think of. "How have you been," she asks.

Sometimes Izzy does this thing where she looks at me, almost waiting for a response. I just blankly look back at her until she turns around and starts going about her day. I like the way Izzy talks though, she includes every detail in her stories and over-exaggerates her speech. Izzy talks about her boyfriend, Xander, and how good he is to her. This is true, Xander treats her well, I notice it in the way he speaks and holds her. They have a special relationship and I'm happy for her.

Me and Izzy share most classes as seniors. School started a few months ago and I already hate it. Although my grades are good with the lowest at 89.46 percent. I still hate the fact most of my classes are AP, not because I can't handle it but because it proves nothing to my parents. I really value their approval no matter how much they hurt me.