3

Angel

I flick the lights in my parent's room to alert them of my presence. My mom and dad are deaf so I have to flash the lights as a way of knocking. "Can I go out and take pictures?" I sign, when they nod yes excitement flows through me.

We moved about a week ago, in a small neighborhood. It's a pretty one though with nice landscaping and beautiful houses. I like to take pictures, it calms me and I plan on being a photographer. Most will say it's useless but I enjoy it.

I put my shoes and a jacket on. I grab my phone, camera, and leave. I take pictures of the trees and animals I see. I make my way to the park to see if anything else interests me.

I watch the way the wind blows the brown leaves across the pavement. The birds tweeting in bushes and the bunnies feeding in the grass. I take pictures of it all. I love nature.

I decide to sit by a tree and enjoy the environment around me. I haven't made any friends yet, although there is this cute girl in my child development class.

She has dark brown hair and an attractive body. She has dark freckles around her face and a defined jawline. Her luminous eyes that stare back at mine were breathtaking. Looking at her seemed unreal and her face is constantly in my mind. I know she can't see it but when she smiles, even if it's a small one, her eyes shine and her cheeks grow red. It's really cute. She's really cute.

She can't talk which doesn't bother me but it makes her shy and lack emotion. I think I wanna be her friend but it's hard. As I think of the days ahead and what I have planned before getting up and heading home.

I walk through the door of my home and take off my shoes, placing them on the rack. After I headed to the kitchen and I found my mom cooking. We always end up eating late around 9. I don't know why but I've gotten used to it. I sit on our island before my dad makes me get up.

"What?" I sign.

"Help with the boxes," my dad instructs me.

"But I'm tired," I say exaggerating my tired expression.

"So am I. Come. Now," my father signs then walks to the boxes expecting me to follow.

I roll my eyes and get up. I find a box full of paintings and carry it to the art room. My dad wants an art/office room for himself. He works from home and finds joy in painting. I start to take them out and my dad tells me where to put them. My dad is an old man, 62 to be exact. My parents waited sometime before their first kid, me.

I'm the oldest of my three siblings. My younger sister is Naomi and she's a freshman. My younger adoptive brother is Leroy and he's also a freshman. We all go to the same school but I do my best to ignore them because they are annoying as fuck.

I hang the paintings up one by one until dinner. I make my way over and find a seat. My mom serves chicken parmesan and I eat like there's no tomorrow. When I'm done, I find my way to my room and take a shower. The warm water hits me and I sigh as it does. I clean myself then wrap myself in a towel. I take care of my skin and teeth next.

I finish my necessities and get to bed. Right when I was getting settled, a fist hit my door. "What?"

"It's me, can I open it?" My sister asks, I yell a yes back and she opens the door. "Can you take me to school tomorrow?"

"Why?"

"Because mom always blasts the music and it's so embarrassing," she whispers despite our parent's lack of hearing.

"If I take you to school then I have to take Leroy to school and I really don't want to," I responded.

"C'mon please," she whines.

"No, now get out and close my door," I reply and lay my head on my pillow facing the opposite way from her. She groans and closes the door. I roll my eyes as I think of my sister smiling as I tell her I changed my mind when really yes was my true answer from the start. If siblings don't mess with each other, are they really siblings?
                                     ———
"Don't touch it," I sternly say to Naomi as she hovers over the radio. After getting my morning Starbucks, we headed to school with my brother as well. My siblings for some dumbass reason seem to think they can mess with my car. A flow of relief comes over me as we reach the school. I find my parking spot and kick my siblings out.

As I enter the building, I immediately spot S. "Hey! I like your outfit," she almost seems surprised to see me. She's wearing a crop top that shows her 6 pack, damn. I involuntarily bite my bottom lip.

"Uhh, eyes are up here," another girl says. I've been staring at her stomach for a good 30 seconds. I shake my head quickly as my face heats up.

"Sorry! I didn't realize," I say back. Kill me now.

"Who are you?" The girl asks. She is blonde with pale skin and her bright green eyes stare deep into mine. I give her a small smile before talking.

"I'm Angel. S and I met yesterday."

"Oh, okay. Sorry, I get defensive," she says and chuckles. I chuckle back to avoid the awkwardness between us. I shuffle a little and fix my feet before making eye contact with S. I gave her a small smile and she gave me one back, her cheeks becoming red. "Come one S, we gotta go. Bye."

"Oh, bye," to be honest I wanted to see her face just a little longer. I shake my head from the thoughts that fill it and walk to the locker. I've never been to a school with lockers like the movies before. All the past schools I've been to have been outdoors, so it's weird. Change is weird.

I close my locker and walk to my first class. Enter the cold room and send shivers down my spine. There's never in between with teachers when it comes to temperatures in classrooms, it's always so hot you can't breathe or freezing cold. I swear I could see my own breath when I sighed as I took my seat.

It seems the female teacher takes attendance as she looks around the room and back to her computer. I sit at my desk while I wait for instructions which I soon get. "Alright, let's get our computers out and I want you all to find my class and look at today's assignment," I go to the desired website after taking out my computer device. The assignment in my Human psych class is a multiple-choice assessment. I take it and check through the answers multiple times before submitting it.

The day goes by slowly and I make my way to child development. I walk past S who's looking straight down at her notebook. As I sit in my seat, I watch as her head goes up and turns to face me. She shows me her notebook. Sorry about Izzy taking me away. She can get jealous and hide it by calling it defensive or protective. How did it go with the counselor?

"Good! I was able to change my classes," I nod. I watch as she turns and writes once more.

I think you live in my neighborhood. I saw you taking some pictures of the tree right in front of my house.

"Oh, yeah. I was taking pictures of the squirrels in the trees. I live like in the one cul-de-sac the one down Almond Street," I see her nod in recognition and write once again. "You know, I can teach you sign? I'm a CODA and fluent in ASL," She looks at me and nods her head. Before she can show me her paper the teacher talks and the class goes silent.

After class, she gives me a note and leaves. This is my number, text me or call whenever you are free and I will be too. I'd love to learn a different language :)

Why is this really cute? I chuckle and pocket the note. I finish the day and go back home.

Take your time with this one, she's different.

(A/N: Three chapters in but thoughts on characters? Predictions on relationships?)