9

Angel

Another day at school is like no other. Class is long and boring but at least I have something or someone to look forward to. She did seem a little off in the morning, but it's the morning so I don't blame her.

"This is the last week before Christmas break, which means finals. Lucky for you, I don't want to grade. So no finals. Also, the last two days are on a block schedule," my teacher explains to the class.

Today we are just finishing what we did yesterday, but I already finished. So I go on my phone to text S. Or at least see if she can talk. 

————————————————————————
                                       S ❤️

hey! Can you text?

Yeah.

what's wrong?

Wdym?

you being idk weird

I'm the weird kid

no, S.

We're texting how
could I be myself.

nvm. what are doing rn?

Work.

see, that!
you being blunt,
i don't like it.

Okay, sorry.

what's wrong.

Nothing I'm fine.

don't lie.

I'm not.
I have to work, I'll talk to u later.

k, bye.

I don't know what's going on with her, but I don't like it. I hate when people refuse to communicate, I would much rather her spill her guts out than keep it all in and take it out on me. She needs to tell me what's up or figure it out.

I'm all for communication and I hate not doing it. Being a CODA and the oldest means I lived in a house of silence for some time. I craved hearing other people's voices and I loved when people could actually talk to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love signing and I find it beautiful. I love the fact my family has a language, for us to share. In areas where we were supposed to be quiet, I would sign to my sister and we would silently laugh and make jokes. 

Communication is so important. I won't let S refuse to talk to me. I'm not going to force her, but if I did something I want to know. I deserve that.

A little while later, I find S sitting with the rest of her friends. I make my over, sitting next to her. "Hey."

She gives me a small smile and I reach for her hand. She moves it away. "What's up?"

She seems uncomfortable and very distant. "S, what the fuck is going on? I hate this shit."

Silence.

"Okay, whatever I'm leaving," I grab my stuff and leave walking out of the cafeteria and into the hall towards my locker. Before reaching, I'm stopped by the same motherfucker, Gabriel. "What do you want?" I question, agitated with an annoyed expression.

"Your number," give it up.

"I already made it clear, I don't want you. I'm a lesbian, so I need to spell it out for you? Leave me the fuck alone."

"Whatever dyke."

I scoff and shake my head and he walks away. I feel a pair of arms around my waist, I immediately know who it is. "Can you tell me what's going on?"

I turn to face her and I see tears in her eyes. I look at her with sadness, my head tilted to the side. She begins to sign.

"My brother wants you. My mom loves him more. They told me to leave you." She signs, it's a little all over the place but I get it.

"What kind of parents do you have?"

"Not the best."

"I'm sorry. I still want you, do you?" she nods her head. I wipe her tears and bring her face to mine for a kiss. Her lips are salty from the tears. "No more crying, I hate seeing you sad." She smiles a little and I open my locker to place the things I don't need inside.

"What happened to your hands?" I ask as I hold them walking to class. Her hands are bruised and red. Marks that look like they were whipped. She shook her head, telling me to not worry.

I don't bring it up again because if it is what I think it is, I know she won't say anything. I hate to think she's being abused but this isn't normal punishment.

We go through the day and I take her to my house after school. I don't teach her sign today, we just do some assignments in my room. When I'm finished, I go to get something for us to eat while she does the rest of her work.

"I don't know how you do it," I say as I put the bag of chips down. Having AP classes would kill me. She laughs a little, shrugging her shoulders. "Are you gonna be done soon?"

She nods her head. As I wait for her to be finished and eat my chips, she gets a text. Her body tenses and she shows me. It's a text from her mom telling her to get home in all caps. "You gonna be okay?"

She nods her head and kisses me. I watch her pack up and I walk with her to the door. I kiss her one last time before she leaves.

I hope she's okay.

(A/N: Sorry this one is short, like real short 😭 Ill post another later today)