Christmas

A/n: I have continued to mention Carla as Arthur's girlfriend in this book for consistency's sake. Obviously I know they are unfortunately no longer together but I just thought I'd say :)

I slowly opened my eyes to become accustomed to the morning light that was gradually inching through the gaps in the curtains. I reached over to Charles' side of the bed to find that he wasn't laying there. I sat up and unplugged my phone to check the time, but it was only 7.30 and Charles wasn't supposed to have any early morning training today. The quiet creak of the door is what caused me to look up from my phone to see Charles making his way into our room with two mugs of coffee and a plate of gingerbread biscuits. "I was hoping you would still be asleep so that I could surprise you when you woke up." he said to me with a small laugh, his cute dimples making an appearance. "Aaaww, well I appreciate the effort. I was worried you had disappeared for a second." I replied as he climbed back into bed after putting the tray down on the bedside table. "I could never do that, especially on Christmas mon amour!" he said, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into his chest. "I have an amazing day planned for us... first we have the morning to ourselves to do whatever we want, and then we are going over to my mum's for Christmas dinner and to stay the night." he told me as he placed a few kisses on the top of my head. "My brothers and their girlfriends will be there as well." Charles added with a smile. "Sounds like a lovely day with the family. What shall we do this morning then?" I asked. "Well I have a few little things for you and then I was thinking of a walk along the pier so you can do some photography." he replied. "I would love to take some photos! Perhaps you could do some more modelling for me." I laughed to which Charles rolled his eyes playfully.

***

We were now sat in the living room, still in our matching Christmas pyjamas, with some festive music playing and some snacks on the table for us to share. "I wasn't too sure what to get you, but after pulling a few favours I finally found the perfect gift for you..." I told him as I handed him a large heavy box. I held my breath as he tore off the paper, hoping that he would like the gift. "No you didn't..." he gasped in excitement as more of the present was revealed. "I honestly love you so much y/n/n! How did you manage to get this?" he asked, surprise laced in his voice. "I may have asked a few favours from your friends and family." I told him as he lifted up a helmet I had designed for his next season. It featured the colours of the Monaco flag and many handwritten messages from those who were closest to him. On the back I had kept his usual tribute to Jules and his Dad as I knew they meant so much to him. He placed the helmet down on the table and tackled me in a tight hug, thankfully my mug was on the table and not in my hands. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's honestly one of the best gifts anyone has ever given to me. And your message on the top is definitely my favourite." he sighed in content as a few happy tears rolled down his cheeks. "I'm glad you like it Char. I wanted to do something that was sentimental as I couldn't think of anything you didn't have already." I replied sincerely. "It's perfect. You're perfect." he whispered before placing a long kiss on my lips. 

"And now my gift for you..." he said as he pulled us up from the floor. Charles handed me a small blue bag embellished with gold swirls and hearts. I slowly untied the bow and pulled out a square cream box, my eyes instantly looking up at Charles who was watching me intently. I opened the box to see a beautiful gold ring with a small emerald and two diamonds either side, set in the middle. "Y/n/n I hope you realise how special you are to me. In the short time we have known each other, you have become the most important person in my life and I honestly can't picture my future without you. You have been at my side through thick and thin, as have I and honestly couldn't have got through this year without you. I want to make you a promise that I will always love you forever no matter what. This is more than just a gift, it's a symbol of my commitment to you and us." he said as tears fell onto my cheeks and he held my hands in his. "I love you so much ma cherie!" he finished, a few tears had now fallen from his eyes as well. I pulled him into a tight embrace as time around us seemed to slow and our love for each other grew (if that was even possible).