Changing Circumstances

💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨

💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨

Mia

I sat in Nate's car as I waited for him so we could go home, I felt baffled. A bit mad and irritated. The last I wanted was to have more problems at work. I had enough of dealing with Andrea and her goons at school. Why did she have to join my work field? Why, of all people of all the jobs available? Why did Jade have to choose this one?

Did I just witness Jade getting a job she swore she would never do? She was one of the richest most stuck-up and spoiled girls in my old school. She was a year and a half older than me, taking advantage of the fact that I was so naive.

When I started dating my ex, Kevin, she was pissed. I didn't know he and Jade had gone out. They both attended the same year of school. She hated me from the moment I began dating him, making my life a living hell. She was cruel, nothing like the little shit-talking Andrea throws my way. I literally came home crying almost every day.

And in the end, she won. She had sworn that she'd steal him back, and she won.

No matter how many times he swore he was in love with me, it all concurred... he was still in love with her. I found them dancing at a party and my heart sank, though I wasn't fully there in the relationship either. I was still head over heels with Nate, no matter how hard I tried to get him off my head, couldn't stop thinking of him. It wasn't fair for either one of us. He wanted to be with her, and I wanted to be with Nate.

That was the only real reason I had dated him... To forget about Nate.

It was wrong of me. So wrong. So it was pointless for me to go off on him when I saw him kiss her. I simply ended things, hoping to stay on good terms, but Jade wouldn't have it. She still hated me, even after he and I had already broken up. God, I just hope she doesn't make my life hell in this job too.

I need to do my best, I need to keep this job, and save for next year when I am off to college.

But now that I think about it... why is Jade here? She should be close to ending her first semester of college. I remember she was flaunting her acceptance letter to everyone in school. She had gotten into NYU and MTSU.

So, why was she here? Why isn't she attending university like she so proudly flaunted? I recall her saying her parents were going to pay for her school, and dorm, with all the extravagance life could give.

I looked to the side, toward the entrance to the resort, and sighed as I saw Nate walking with his grandpa. They smile, talking as they walk slowly toward the car. "Ok, son. I'll see you both tomorrow. Bye, sweetie!" his grandpa calls out to me, making me smile as I wave back.

I got out of the car and sprinted toward them, hugging his grandpa and making him chuckle. He had a hearty chuckle, one of a warm caring man who has only gotten sweeter over the years despite his obstacles.

"Bye, Mr. Patterson."

"Mia... how many times have I told you, call me Richard? The whole Mister thing makes me feel so much older than I am."

"Of course you're not old, gramps. You're a young stud, isn't he, babe?" Nate asks, patting his grandpa on the shoulder. I chuckled, nodding my head. "Of course. He's more handsome than you babe!" I said, making him and Nate chuckle. He pulls me by the waist, kissing my lips as I smile at him.

"Alright, alright. Just for that, you two get an instant raise," he says, making us chuckle.

"Now get out of here. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon, kids," he says, waiving us off.

Nate opens the door for me, and I get in, buckling my seatbelt and sighing as his grandpa goes back inside.

I couldn't help but look over to a car pulling up right beside us. It was an old little car, with blue paint rusting on one side of the door and chipping in the roof. My eyes widen as I see my ex, Kevin inside.

I felt my heart sink, hoping he couldn't see me over Nate's tinted windows. Jade comes out running from inside the restaurant and goes inside the car. Instantly, I can hear them arguing as Nate looks over his phone.

"I told you, 9 o'clock. You're nearly twenty minutes late, Kev. For fucks sake, why do you always do this to me?" I hear her yelling, making Nate look over to their car.

"Isn't that the new girl? I wonder if everything is ok?" he asks, making me sigh. "Can we go?" I ask, making him smile.

"Of course. Mom just texted that she ordered Chinese takeout for us. You want to come over?" he asks, making me smile.

"I'd love to." I leaned forward, cupping his cheek kissing his lips, and making him smile.

I hate my mind. I know I should be thinking of all the beautiful things Nate makes me feel, but I can't help but wonder what is going on with Jade and Kevin. I'm shocked to see them still together. But I'm happy for them.

I truly hope she's ok. I know she was a spoiled brat, and she had grown up her entire life with everything handed to her on a silver platter. But I wondered if things were okay with her and her parents. They always looked down on people with less fortune.

For now, I just want to enjoy the rest of my night with Nate and call it a night.

They sped off, making Nate and I look at each other. I could see he was worried too, but, there's nothing we can really do for them.

We drove away as well and enjoyed our evening. We ate Chinese takeout, finished our homework and I fell asleep as I snuggled in his arms.

(Next Day)

I was on my way to my next class when I accidentally bumped into someone wearing blue overalls. "I... I'm so sorry." I said, apologizing. I looked up and my eyes grew wide as saucers as I saw my Ex, Kevin in front of me, holding a gray bucket with dirty water and a mop.

"K.. Kevin?" I asked, making his face turn red. "Uhm, hi, Mia. I... I didn't know you went to this school. How are you?" he asked nervously, rubbing the back of his head. "Uh, yeah. I just moved into my sister, Audrey's house. Actually, Bailey and I are attending this school. What are you... what are you doing here?" I asked, looking down at the mop.

"I thought you and Jade had left for NYU," I asked, making him drop his sight as he dropped his shoulders. "Yeah, about that... it didn't work out so well. It's a bit of a long story, care to hear?"

"Actually, I need to get to the next class. But. If you're around, we can catch up after school." I say as I begin to walk away. I see Nate coming my way with a big smile, making me sprint toward him. I hug him around his shoulders, kissing him on his lips.

"Get to class love birds." Mrs. McGee says from inside her class, making us chuckle. "Will do, Mrs. McGee," he says, winking at me as he pulls my hand and we walk away to our next class.

What could have compelled Kevin and Jade to get jobs like these? I never thought I'd see the day when the two people that were making fun of my situation and Dad's job would end in regular 9 to 5 jobs. What could have happened to them?

💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨💖✨