24

"Just continue to rest and everything will heal just fine." The nurse's calming voice said from the other side.

"What about travel?" I asked.

The line was quiet for a brief second, ", well I would avoid any serious travel for at least the next week."

I groaned in what I thought was silence.

"I know it's not ideal but gunshot wounds are very painful and especially somewhere like your leg with a lot of blood vessels."

"Yeah yeah. I know," I signed "sorry, I guess I just figured I'd be good to go by now."

She laughed a little, " well you were only discharged yesterday."

"Fair enough."

"Look I've got another patient coming soon but please call back if you have any questions and if you have any bleeding or severe pain, call an ambulance."

"Sure, thanks." I quickly dismissed myself from the call and slumped back into the chair.

This hotel was definitely nicer than the one me and Bucky shared but it also felt emptier too.

"Assholes." I muttered to myself.

Only came back for me to clear their conscience.

I did lie after all. I guess I shouldn't be too mad. But damn did it hurt.

Truthfully I don't know what I wanted from Bucky. He was nicer than I thought, funny, smart, and kind. I guess something in me wanted something romantic. Maybe it was just us sharing the same space that made it feel more intimate.

But he was the Winter Soldier and I was a SHIELD agent. Well...maybe not anymore.

I was too scared to call into work and I haven't heard from anyone there so I can only imagine I'm not on their friend list anymore.

What the hell am I supposed to do?

They're probably sitting around plotting my demise right this moment. And I'm laid up in a hotel in Russia somewhere.

All I can do is hope I've covered my trail enough to buy some time.

I slowly and gently rolled onto my side and reached for my cell phone. A couple texts from my family but that's all.

I haven't heard from James or Steve since they brought me to the hospital.

Not super surprised, I kinda did call them out for being apart of the shitty person crew. And maybe I was wrong but as a member myself I can usually tell.

And the lack of communication just proved my point.

This was stupid. I shouldn't be so hung up over not receiving a couple messages. I never cared before for checking in and texting just to text and see what's up but now I needed it.

No doubt Bucky wouldn't wanna talk but maybe Steve would humor me. He's definitely the nicer of the two.

Hey, um. I'm out of the hospital. Thanks again.
I sent a quick text.

My phone dinged a couple minutes later, That's an interesting way to apologize. Truly glad you're doing a bit better. Take it easy the next week or so. And lay low. No doubt you've made your boss upset.

At least I'm not acting paranoid about being in hot water.

I'm sorry. I sent back.

I waited a little fiddling with my fingers before grabbing the phone again, How's James?

You know him, he's fine. I think you did hurt him but you're both very similar, and he knows that. I don't think he's taken it too hard, but who knows he's always been good at hiding his emotions. Maybe you should reach out.

I read over the message and sighed. My eyes constantly reading "he's fine"

He didn't care. I knew it.

Yeah I don't know. Maybe just a quick thanks but I might give it some time.

Sure Rhea, take care. Let me know if you need anything and stay safe. Captain America Out.

I swear I could feel every fractured bone in my body as I laughed for what felt like forever.

He's so out of touch.

I tossed the phone down and delicately got out the chair and headed for a quick seated shower.

————————————
"And that is everything. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you get better soon!" The woman behind the hotel desk said with a huge warning smile.

"Thanks so much. Bye." I turned and bent slightly to grab my bags.

Time to get outta here finally, I headed toward the door when he caught my eye.

His head was down and he was wearing a cap but it was definitely him.

I stood there waiting for him to turn around as the other desk attendant thanked him for his stay.

Once he was done he slowly turned as if he knew I was there. He kept his head down and went for the door ignoring me.

Moderately pissed off I followed him out.

"James!" I marched up behind him but he kept going.

"James! James!"

He got to a small black car and unlocked it throwing his stuff in the back seat.

"Don't make me call your full name! You know I will."

He begrudgingly looked at me and stopped his hasty get away.

"What are you doing here?"