16

"Bucky?"

"Hm?"

I stared at the ceiling as I laid on my back, Bucky's back was facing me.

"Are you scared about what might happen?"

He turned to face me.

"Are you?"

"Should I be?"

He was quiet for a while.

"Yes." He finally responded.

"Oh." I squeaked.

He sat up, "I don't want to lie to you. It's very dangerous. I had an idea. We get as close as we can to the hydra base and I go in alone."

I shot up. "No Bucky! I'm not letting you go there alone."

He shook his head, "You can't choke out everyone you see. Do you even know how to use a gun?"

"I'll have you know that I do." I paused as he looked at me incredulously, "My dad loved to go hunting."

At least that part wasn't a lie.

But I had never actually been hunting with him.

"No Stephanie. Not gonna happen."

"Please. I can do it."

"You've already done way more than expected. I can't let you into harms way like that. I mean, don't you have friends? A family? I'm sure they'll miss you."

I faintly smiled. "I have two younger sisters. And a dad. My mom fell in love with her boss and moved to California with him when I was 12."

"That's awful. But you have so much to live for. Me, I have nothing to lose."

I sighed, "I still don't think you should go in alone."

"I can and I will. It's better that way."

I huffed too tired to argue.

I laid back in the bed and folded my arms.

He lightly chuckled, "You don't look like the kind to follow directions anyways so this'll be interesting."

I lightly laughed, "Good night James."

"Good night."

——-
"I'm gonna go return our key." I said to Bucky as he was loading the car.

"Good morning." The man greeted as I entered the office.

"Morning, I'm here to return our room key."

He nodded and took the piece of metal from me.

"Did you enjoy your stay?"

I nodded, "Yes. I wish we could've gotten a double room however but it worked out alright."

His brows furrowed. "We had many doubles available. I even offered your friend some. He insisted on a single. Didn't even want the air mattress."

"Oh. Right." I spoke confused. "Well thanks, goodbye."

I left the office and headed towards the car.

That sly son of a bitch.

What was he playing at?

I slipped into the car.

"Alright Barnes, last stretch. Let's go."

He sat up and plugged my phone in turning on the gps and the music.

—————

"Okay. We're about an hour away." I informed him as I glanced down at my cell phone.

"I think we should get a room 30 minutes out from the base. It's a safe enough distance."

I nodded.

Half an hour later we were pulling into a hotel.

I checked us in and we headed up to our room.

A double.

After we placed all our stuff down I turned to Bucky.

"Finally a double bedroom huh."

He shrugged,"Yeah."

I sighed, "James, why did you insist on a single bed last night." I paused, "The manager told me."

He gave a nod. "I'm sorry Stephanie. It was wrong. I just...." He took a deep breath, "I hoped you'd share the bed with me because I thought it would help me sleep without a nightmare. And it did."

"Why didn't you just tell me that? I mean don't you think I would've helped?"

"We hardly know each other. How would it sound if I asked you to sleep with me to fight off my sleeplessness?"

"I've told you that I have the same issue. I would've understood."

To be fair, it would've been a bit weird.

He shook his head, "won't happen again."

He walked off into the bathroom and closed the door behind him.