6

Thank God for modern technology.

There was no possible way I'd be able to find this Chinese restaurant without my gps.

I haven't even been here for a full day and I was already missing the familiarity of D.C.

I can't wait to finish this mission.

I grabbed the bag of hot, delicious smelling food before exiting the small shop.

I retraced my steps and ended up back at the slightly broken down apartment building.

The soldier didn't seem to like me, I'd really have to dial up the charm but still maintain my calm and collected demeanor.

This was exhausting.

I entered the building and climbed up to the fourth floor.

I found the room and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" His husky voice called out.

I rolled my eyes I mean, it's not like he could see me. The complex was too shoddy to afford peepholes.

"It's Stephanie, from earlier. I've got Chinese food." I said with a smile in my voice.

The door cracked open before I saw a pair of blue eyes looking back at me.

He looked me over for a second before he opened the door all the way.

I smiled at him and stepped around him as I entered the room.

"Sheesh. This is some place you've got here. It looks worse up close."

"You don't need to stay here you know." He bit back with a hint of attitude in his voice.

I shrugged,"Sorry, just thinking out loud."

I placed the bag on the counter and looked for anything out of the ordinary like maybe a trap.

Nothing.

The place was squeaky clean for the apartment of a murderer.

I turned back to the man. "You never told me your name."

"No." He flatly said. "I didn't." He began to walk towards the food before I jumped in front of him.

Not my best idea.

Anger and a mixture of annoyance crossed his face.

"Tell me your name." I urged.

"Why?"

"I want to thank you properly."

"It's the thought that counts." He dryly replied

I narrowed my eyes. "Please?" I said in a sweet tone.

"James."

I smiled like I had won the lottery. "James. I like it."

He gave a nod then stepped around me to get his food.

"I don't know what you like so I hope everything is fine."

He opened the package and smiled.

So food makes him happy. I'll have to write that down.

He grabbed a fork and started shoveling food into his mouth.

I watched him eat while I resisted the urge to punch him in his face. Or taze him. Or just shoot him and say it was self defense.

The world would sure be a better place.

By the time I had realized it he was already almost done with half of the food.

"Woah there big guy. I gotta eat too." I interrupted.

"Oh." He put the fork down and backed away allowing me to step in and grab what I wanted.

I took out my food and stepped away.

"Have at it." I spoke and he picked up right where he left off.

I took a seat on the floor and ate my food trying to thing of ways to complete my mission.

Flying wasn't an option. Well not publicly anyways.

Maybe SHIELD could send one of their private planes for us.

Getting the soldier on board wouldn't be easy that's for sure.

I still needed to gain his trust.

Or at least his sympathy.

If he had any.

The file on him was so short I know nothing about him and I have nothing to go on.

"So tell me James. Where are you from?"

He looked over at me. "Bucharest."

My eyes narrowed,"You don't have an accent and your English is impeccable."

He shrugged.

"You seem like a foreigner to me." I added.

He stayed silent.

"Do you have a job?"

"No." He flatly answered.

"So how do you afford your luxurious lifestyle?" I opened my arms gesturing around me.

He frowned."Why don't you just keep quiet?"

Ouch.

"What's with all the questions? You should be grateful I'm letting you stay here." He ran a hand through his hair. "Stop prying okay? I'm not gonna hurt you. If I was I'd have done it already. I'm not a bad guy."

I put my hands up defensively,"I didn't say you were."

"So stop asking a million and one questions. It's not a good feeling."

I nodded silently and leaned back into the wall.

"Sorry." He mumbled under his breath almost inaudibly.

I fought a smile,"Huh? Did you say something?" I feigned innocence.

"I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice."

I shrugged,"You don't have to apologize. You're right. I was asking too many questions. It's a personality flaw. I'm the sorry one."

"Let's just say we both are and move on." He paused and took a breath,"You can take the mattress. I'll sleep on the floor. The bathroom is through there." He pointed off into the distance. "That's really all there is to this place."

"Are you sure you don't mind sleeping on the floor? I've already imposed enough. I wouldn't mind."

He shook his head,"I'll be fine."

I nodded.

"It's getting kinda late if you wanna take a shower first."

I stood up and walked over to him looking up at his tall stature,"Thank you so much James."

He silently nodded.

I walked over to the bathroom and quickly showered.

I exited the room.

"Here." I heard James say and I looked over at him."I'm sure you don't want to sleep in jeans."

It was a pile of clothes.

Damn. He was making it hard to want to have him imprisoned and tortured.

I smiled, took the clothes and headed back to the bathroom making sure to change fast.

The clothes hung loosely and I looked so unattractive.

As if James didn't already dislike me, I now looked like a sack of potatoes.

I walked out to the room and gave a twirl.

Not even a small smile.

"Great." He mumbled before stepping around me to head into the bathroom.

This guy was a pain in my ass.