18

"She is." Steve spoke pointing to me. "This is Rhea."

My heart raced.

"No. Maybe you're mistaken." Bucky tried to rationalize. "This is Stephanie. I met her in Bucharest."

Steve was silent. "Oh." He stared at me for a second," "Sorry. You just looked familiar."

I nodded, " I get that a lot." I slightly relaxed.

"I'm not surprised you're here." Bucky said to me. "We need to keep moving. Now."

He stalked off in the opposite direction from which I came.

I exhaled.

Steve was staring at me but stayed silent as I began to follow Bucky.

Once Bucky turned the corner Steve grabbed my arm.

"What the hell is going on?" He angrily whispered.

"I can't tell you. Not now." I whispered back.

"Who's side are you on?"

I rolled my eyes. "His."

He started at me some more as I grew irritated.

"I'm on his side. Ask him."

"He doesn't even know your name and you want me to believe you?" He bit back.

I sighed, "It's complicated. And he's going to get suspicious when he realizes we aren't behind him. I'll explain later."

He reluctantly let go of my arm and I headed off to follow James.

I'm sure he was a little suspicious.

I was gonna tell him the truth.

Really, I was.

Just not now.

Or maybe anytime soon.

Possibly after everything was done and if this tingling inside of me hadn't gone away.

I would've come clean.

I swear.

Now it might be harder than I thought.

Thanks to Captain America.

More like captain jack ass if you ask me.

Cocky son of a bitch thinks he can just come in here and save the day or something?

I'm the hero.

Bucky is supposed to appreciate me.

And I'll be damned if I relinquish my glory to him.

I jogged up to Bucky.

"Found anything yet?"

He gave a nod,"Not sure if it's much but I took some pictures of something's in a room I saw back there. Machines. Papers." He sighed exhaustedly. " I don't know what it all means but I think it could help."

"Yeah, sure. Let's just keep looking and maybe we could find more."

He nodded again.

"Maybe we should split up." Steve spoke from behind us. "We could cover more ground more quickly. Someone may be on to us. We don't wanna waste any time. Since we came from the east we can cover the other directions more evenly. Stephanie can go west. Bucky goes south and I'll go north. It's-"

"No." Bucky cut in. "I'm not letting her out of my sight. It isn't safe."

"Well she came on her on volition. She knows what she was getting into. I'm sure she can handle herself."

"No Steve. I won't leave her."

"Hey," I softly spoke gently putting my hand on his upper arm. "Remember the weapons warehouse in Bucharest. I'll be okay on my own."

He leaned in,"What if I don't want you to leave me?" He said more quietly now excluding Steve from the conversation. "I'll feel better knowing you're here and safe. With me."

"I know." I softly smiled, "But. The longer we're hear the more danger we're all in."

He reluctantly nodded.

"If you hear as much as the building settle, you call me. Do you understand?"

I nodded,"Yes sir."

I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed west.

I could hear James' deep sigh from behind me.

What's was up with him?

I continued walking, entering every room with caution.

I took pictures of everything just in case any of it registered with Bucky.

I walked and walked and walked all over the west side of this large warehouse.

My nerves eating at me.

Steve probably wanted to split up so he could get Bucky alone and tell him the truth.

But who would he believe?

Most likely Rogers.

I sighed right before hearing the floor creek behind me.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed at what would come next.

I pulled a gun off my hip before hearing a gun cock.

"Easy now sweetheart." The man said.

"You're making a mistake." I spoke back.

I could hear the smile in his voice.

"You're making the mistake." He responded in a heavy Russian accent. " I know the soldier is here. He belongs to us. Now why don't you lead me to him and you won't get hurt."

Now it was my turn to smile as I turned to face him.

Scars littered his face.

"Oh I'm not worried about getting hurt."

I quickly grabbed his arm, twisted it and shoved my elbow into his, snapping his arm in the opposite direction of how it naturally bends.

He yelled in pain.

I kicked him in his manhood causing him to double over.

I then grabbed his head and forcefully brought my knee up to it.

He fell unconscious.

I quickly grabbed his gun and my phone.

"Stephanie? What's wrong? I thought I heard something." Bucky's panicked voice rang.

"We have company. I've only seen one but who knows how many there are."

"Are you Alright? Did you get hurt?"

I pointlessly shook my head, "No I'm fine. The guy is unconscious. For now."

"We need to go."

"You should go get Steve." I added.

"No. I'm coming for you. We can find him after. I need to make sure you're okay."

Bucky has been acting odd since I got here.

Almost needy. Desperate.

"Okay." I spoke letting out a breath. "And I'll bring our friend."