14

"Could you slow down a little bit?" Bucky asks from the passenger seat.

"I will. I'm just trying to get around these trucks." I responded in a annoyed tone.

He groaned but said nothing more.

"I wanna stop somewhere in Ukraine for the night. It's getting late and I don't want to risk you driving. So I need some rest."

"Okay." He grumpily said.

I resisted the urge to laugh.

"This is one of my favorites!" I excitedly said as the guitar intro began.

"Who is this?"

"Jimi Hendrix. One of the best guitarists of all time." I turned up the radio as the sound of All along the watchtower filled the car.
——————

Bucky stayed silent for most of the drive.
Probably planning our "trip".

After about 12 hours of driving I pulled up to a motel.

"Stay here. I'll go and get us a room."

Bucky nodded silently and I grabbed my bags.

"Hello!" The night manager greeted as I entered.

I smiled at the short old lady.

"Hi. How are you?"

She smiled,"I am very well thank you for asking. What can I do for you dear?"

"I was hoping I could get a double bed room just for the night."

She did some typing on the computer.

"Looks like we don't have any available double rooms. But we do have a honeymoon suite. The bed is large enough for some space. Or could use an air mattress."

I frowned," I suppose an air mattress will do."

She nodded and did some more typing. "I.d and payment please."

I reached into my bag and pulled out yet another fake identity.

Sarah Wilkes.

She continued to check me in.

"Columbus, Ohio." She spoke, "I'm actually from Chicago. But my husband is from right here in Ukraine. He convinced me to come visit and I fell in love and never been back."

I smiled at the thought.

It sounds beautiful to have a normal life and fall in love.

Not sure it would ever happen to me but I like the idea.

"I can see why." I responded. "Looks amazing here."

She handed me my cards. "Maybe next time you come it'll be more than a night so you can truly experience it."

I nodded and thanked her before taking my room key and heading back out.

I tapped on the window alerting a sleepy Bucky.

He looked up and I motioned for him to get out.

He opened the door.

"Well unfortunately they don't have any double bed rooms so one of us gonna have to sleep on an air mattress."

"I'll take it."

My brows furrowed. "You sure?"

He nodded,"I wouldn't be able to sleep well if I made you sleep on the air mattress. Whatever that is."

I fought a smile. "Okay."

He opened the back door and grabbed the suitcase where out clothes were.

I led him to the room and opened the door.

The room was decent enough for a nights stay.

"I'm gonna get a shower. Hanging out with an outlaw isn't great on my sweat glands."

He rolled his eyes at my comment.

After washing up I exited the bathroom to see Bucky fast asleep on the bed.

I shrugged, air mattress it is then. I climbed in and pulled the sheets over me before drifting off.
———

My eyes fluttered open to see Bucky's defined jawline hiding under the stubble of his hair.

What's happening?

I shot up as best as I could and frantically and subconsciously grabbed onto Bucky's shirt.

"Relax. It's just me. You were tossing and turning so much, probably uncomfortable. I told you that I'd sleep on the air mattress."

"Well you were already asleep on the bed." I sleepily mumbled.

"Should've woke me." He shook his head, waving me off as he gently set me down.

"You didn't need to do that. I'm sure I was fine on the air bed. And you didn't need to carry me." I fussed feeling like a child.

"I'll remember that." He grumpily said and went to go lay down without another word.

———

"To live and die for thee."

"What?" I asked as I sat up in the bed.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you." Bucky spoke partially closing a book he had in his hands.

"What were you reading?"

"A poem." He nervously but honestly answered.

"May I hear it?"

"It isn't mine just so you know. It's just a um, I would sometimes go to the library and write down things I've read that I like."

I tried not to smile at the thought of him sitting in front of a tower of literature with a pen and paper.

"What's the poem called?" I asked, interested.

"To Anthea, Who may command him anything."

I smiled,"That sounds beautiful."

"It is. Well if you like that sort of thing."

I rolled my eyes.

He was visibly shy.

I shrugged and got out of the bed and began searching through the bag.

"Bid me to live, and I will live.." he began in his usual smooth voice.

Stanza after stanza I listened in awe to the beautiful piece of poetry.

"Wow." I finally spoke as he ended the poem.

"Yeah." He added.

"You should share your writings more often. They're very insightful."

"To what?"

I shrugged nonchalantly,"How you think, how you feel and what you choose to listen to."

If you haven't read the aforementioned poem, please do. It's such a beautiful piece of writing.