1-Alpha's Reputation

Mason

Cold. 

Dark.

Murderous.

Daunting.

Ruthless.

These were the words I often heard spoken to describe my Alpha; Alpha Jackson Ward. But this was not the man I saw. I saw a kind, compassionate, and generous man. He and Luna Ben were good friends with my mother, Beth; so I felt I got more of an inside look at the pair. Considering I saw them much more regularly than the rest of the pack.

Since I was young, the Alpha and Luna would always attend my every baseball game. They cheered for me from the stands just as much as my mother did. They have always had dinner parties with my mom and I either at our home; or theirs. My peers found it shocking when they knew I had been inside the Alpha's mansion, so I didn't talk about it anymore. Luna Ben often helped me with studying, and Alpha Jackson helped me practice baseball. He was the reason why I became so good at it before quitting at sixteen years old. I felt I was outgrowing it.

I've always had an open invitation to Jackson and Ben's home. Any guards that stood along the border of the property never stopped me for questioning like they did almost anyone else. Anyone who dared to get close enough.

It was mind boggling to me - how Jackson had gotten this reputation. My mom is a single parent, and he always made sure to support her, to make sure she didn't experience the struggles a single parent usually would. He just looked after his pack so perfectly this way. He may have pitied her slightly because her mate, my father, died when I was young. I don't remember him at all, but mom says he loved us both very much.

I strapped my helmet on as I straddled my motorcycle. It was a gift from Jackson and Ben, much to my mother's dismay - for many reasons.

I began my drive home. My mom and I lived in a more secluded location. I had to drive long, winding roads through the mountains to get home. It was relaxing to feel the wind rushing against my face, the smells of nature flooding my senses. Until, suddenly, an unexpected smell hit me.

 Until, suddenly, an unexpected smell hit me

Blood.

As  the smell got stronger, I pulled over to the side of the road. I removed my helmet, set it on my handlebars, and got off the bike. There was a shuffling coming from the woods. Then booming laughter.

Creasing my eyebrows, I stepped forward, toward the sounds and smell of blood. A strangled groan caused my footsteps to quicken, weaving through the trees determined to find this person who may need my help. 

I was taken aback by another smell suddenly hitting me, a wonderful scent. It smelled like apples and fresh morning dew. I stumbled for a moment from the overwhelming essence and Roman's proclamation in my head.

Mate.

Mate? He must be mistaken.

Another laugh brought me back to the present, which made my legs move forward again. Finally, I came across three figures standing in the forest. Two of them towered over the third. The smaller one seemed to be trapped in the grip of one of the monsters, as the collar of their shirt was pulled forward in a giant fist. 

Looking closer, I saw his face. He looked up at his captor with wide eyes, and crimson blood running from his nose and the corner of his mouth. He had unruly, chestnut curls spiraling from his head, longer than most males would keep their hair. His thick, masculine brows contrasted with the feminine features of his face. His jaw was soft, with rounded edges. His blue eyes shone with a gleam that made me wonder why I hadn't noticed blue eyes in this way ever before. His long eyelashes only accented the beautiful orbs as I noticed a single tear fall from one. I quickly sprung into action.

"Hey!" I yelled at I stepped forward. The two larger guys looked at me first, and then the beautiful boy glanced in my direction. The grip on his shirt collar was let go and he crashed to the forest floor with a wince and choked groan.

"What the hell is going on here?"

"Fuck off, Whitlock," one of them spat. I recognized them then. Two bitch ass punks from school. I sighed in annoyance before one stepped forward and shoved me. I didn't hesitate before throwing my fist into his jaw, causing his head to whip to the side. The other one came at me then, and I hit him in the center of his face, causing a sickening crack before blood began spilling from his nose. His hands flew to his face before stepping back. When dumbass number two came toward me again, I grabbed him by his throat, and threw his body backwards, until his back hit the ground with a thud. He gritted his teeth and arched his back from the pain.

"You. Fuck. Off." I grumbled while looking back and forth between them both. They scrambled to their feet and walked away quickly. I turned my attention to the boy on the ground, scooting away from me with his palms on the ground behind him.

"Hey," I began gently, "Are you okay?"

His breathing was labored as he stared up at me, seemingly unsure of what his next move should be. I wanted to calm him, let him know I had only done those things to help him, and I would not hurt him.

"My name's Mason. You alright?" I asked as I offered my hand to help him up. He looked at me, and to the ground beside me, and back up at me again. I looked where his gaze had wandered, seeing black plastic partially crushed by my feet. I leaned down and picked it up.

"Is this yours? Did they take this from you?" I held the item out to him, almost desperate for a response at this point. He only looked at the damaged plastic in my hand, back up at me, and quickly stood. He immediately began sprinting away from me for not even two seconds before his body shifted into the most magnificent grey wolf I had ever seen, leaving shreds of fabric from his clothes on the ground.

I looked down at my hands. Am I really that scary? Inspecting the item in my hand, I began to theorize what it was. It would be difficult to tell, since those jackasses obviously broke it. I could tell the main shell of it was almost similar to a crescent moon shape. 

A... hearing aid?

But, it had another feature that left me confused. There was a short wire connected to it, with a flat, round piece at the end. 

What the hell?

I pocketed the plastic item and began walking back to my bike. I hope he's okay. And I couldn't ignore the longing feeling deep inside, that yearned for him to come back. To be close to him. 

I don't even know his name.