25-I Couldn't Survive This Without You Two

Liam

Warmth.

The soothing, graceful warmth was slowly spreading across my face.

I felt tiny sparks from the touch, and relaxed from it.

I had only ever felt this touch from one person in my life, so I knew.

It had only been a dream.

Luca is with me now.

Though I dare not open my eyes to prove it.

"Mate." Bastian whispered in response to his touch.

My eyes still closed, I leaned into the touch. I raised my hand and felt the small, soft hand on my cheek. I turned my head and smelled the soft skin. Expecting Luca's unmistakable scent of freshly fallen rain and wild orchids, I was surprised.

It smelled more of... honey, and oak. 

Though it wasn't the scent I was expecting, it was still heavenly. Slowly, I willed myself to open my eyes. My body involuntarily jerked away from the sight.

"Ben?" I asked, my voice hoarse. My heart seemed to break and mend simultaneously.

I looked around the room, realizing I was lying in a bed. I must have passed out from my hyperventilating and was moved here.

Ben sat at my bedside. His eyes were wide as we looked at each other in shock. Well, I in shock. His look was more startled. His eyes were red and slightly swollen, and I was sure mine didn't look any better. 

A small curl had fallen onto his forehead, and I felt myself resisting the urge to move it away from his face. His blue eyes sparkled as he held my gaze, the long eyelashes surrounding them were wet from recent tears. His nose and cheekbones were very slightly flushed. My eyes fell to his soft jawline. His neck held beautiful collarbones at the base, as Jackson's mark was barely concealed by his clothing.

Ben had never looked more beautiful than he did in that moment.

"Ben.. what's going on?" I whispered as I tried to sit up. He gently pressed a hand to my chest, stopping my motion.

"I know. Just rest, okay?" he responded in that soft, lilting tone that felt so much more melodic now. I couldn't tear my eyes from his face as my thoughts rushed. Bastian had told me exactly what this was, but that made it no easier to believe.

"But what about Jackson?" my brows creased as I closed my eyes for a moment, "Jackson will kill me, Ben."

Ben's eyebrows raised slightly as an unreadable expression crossed his face.

"No, he won't. Don't worry about Jackson, okay?" he told me softly while he brushed his fingers across my jaw. I couldn't help but lean into his touch. It was so soothing. Just like Luca's touch.

Luca.

My sweet Luca. 

Pictures flashed through my mind of the curtain of thick blood that ran from his throat, his fair skin growing paler by the second. His body that went completely limp in my arms. Griffin, a practical mirror image of Luca. Our son saw the grisly way one of his parents was murdered. The image would likely be burned into his mind for the rest of his life.

"Where are my kids?" I croaked out as I looked up to Ben once more.

"They're okay. Griffin is with his mates, and Amelia is with Beth," I relaxed upon hearing his words. Griffin would be as okay as he can be with his mates, and I knew Beth would take care of our Amelia.

"No one has tried to explain it to her, right?" I asked. Ben just shook his head. I sighed. That would be a conversation I would need to have with Amelia. She might not understand much of it, but it's my responsibility as her father to try.

I ran my hands through my hair and just rested them on my face. This was too much. There was an unbearable pain deep in the pit of my stomach from losing my mate. Yet, I seemed to have been mated with another almost immediately. I was glad it was Ben, but it also concerned me. What does this mean with Jackson? Does Ben just have two mates, or-

"Hey," Jackson's deep voice interrupted my thoughts as he walked into the room. My eyes widened slightly at his approach. He didn't seem angry. He seemed... different.

My best friend's skin seemed to glow in a way I had never noticed before. His chiseled arms pressed against the sleeves of his shirt as he stopped behind Ben, resting his hands on Ben's shoulders. I looked up into his steel grey eyes as I sat up. His stare was captivating, and his scent... I just wanted to be closer.

"Mate." Bastian whimpered once again.

A small gasp left my lips as the realization hit me. Ben wasn't my only mate now. I was Jackson's mate, he was mine, I was Ben's, and he was also mine. Just like my son's mates, the three of us were tethered by fate.

"Jackson," I whispered.

"Liam. I'm so sorry," Jackson responded as he held my gaze with deep concern. He had said sorry, and seemed to show some level of guilt. I knew it was because of things entirely out of his control. He felt guilty that I had lost my mate and gained two more in the same day. That two of my closest friends were now bound to me for life.

Slowly, I turned my body and set my feet on the floor. I willed myself to stand, as Ben did the same. I walked forward, grabbing Ben's hand, and Jackson's. Just basking in the moment, I felt the warmth from my mates that Luca could no longer give me. It seemed to travel up my arms, warming my cold bones. I pulled Ben into a hug, and tugged Jackson closer. He wrapped his arms around both of us as we all held each other tightly. Ben sobbed quietly into my chest.

"The Goddess knew I couldn't survive this without you two," I whispered, and Ben's sobs got more intense as Jackson's hold on us tightened.