24-Rogues

Jackson

Rogue attacks were not unheard of. The purpose of them usually being an attempt to seize land, power, and money. That being said, I had hoped it would never happen in my lifetime. With these vicious rogues in my territory, my family was in danger.

Wolves were everywhere; a mix of my own pack and the rogues. I spotted Liam's wolf across the field, successfully tearing through the intruders with ease. Mason was skillfully taking down the trespassers as well. Griffin and Rowan seemed to work together, as Rowan jumped on a large wolf, distracting him just enough for Griffin to swoop in for the kill.

I quickly dodged a wolf that went for my throat, and sank my teeth into their own in return. I didn't want to kill, but if it was a choice between their lives or my family's, I have to.

The rogues began thinning out as my pack took them down one by one. I spotted a few that chose to run, but I let them. They chose their lives, and I would let them have them.

I looked around, seeing many wolves lying on the ground. It saddened me to see; they shouldn't have done this. They shouldn't have invaded and gotten themselves killed the way they did. It was quiet. My pack began shifting back to their human forms, and covering their bodies with clothing. We had won the fight.

I shifted and dressed myself, when I suddenly saw a figure darting toward Liam at lightning speed. I relaxed when I saw it was only Luca. Had Liam told him it's safe? I had yet to tell Ben.

Luca collided with Liam in a tight embrace, and immediately began mumbling things to his mate in a panicked tone. I smelled my mate's scent nearby, and looked to my left to see Ben jogging toward me. I suppose he had assumed that if Luca thought it was safe, it must've been. I was glad it seemed to be, but we hadn't yet searched the area thoroughly for any rogues that were missed. I wrapped my arms around Ben.

"Baby," I placed a chaste kiss in his lips, "where's Max?"

"He's with Beth, Elle, and Aiden. Amelia is with them too," he told me quickly. I looked up to Mason, Rowan, and Griffin who had just heard Ben's words and began making their way to their mates. 

"Are you okay?" Ben asked, searching me for injuries. 

"I'm fine, baby," I said with a chuckle. I pulled him close and just held him, now hearing Luca's panicked words.

"The- the big wolf. The one with the scar! He was the one that took me when I was a kid!" he exclaimed with urgency to Liam. 

"Wolf with a scar? What do you mean, love?" he asked in confusion.

"The big, black wolf. He had a scar across his eye. You couldn't have missed it. He's the leader, and was the one that kidnapped me," he explained once more. Liam eyebrows creased in concern at his mate's words.

"Jax!" Liam said as he looked up at me, "Did you see a black wolf with a scar across his eye?" I thought for a moment, as Liam began walking toward me. Luca stayed, his feet planted in the grass.

"No, I don't think so. Did Luca say he took him when he was a kid?"  I replied.

"Yeah, I-"

Liam was interrupted by Luca's gasp.

His head whipped toward Luca, as did mine. Only in time to see a large, human figure running from Luca in a blur. 

I looked at Luca, seeing his hand on his throat, but dark blood was gushing through his fingers. His eyes were wide with shock. 

Liam immediately darted after the figure, quickly catching up to him. In a second, he jumped on him, and twisted his head in a sickening crack. The figure fell. I saw his face once his dead body hit the ground.

The scar.

Liam ran at full speed back to Luca, and caught him just before his knees hit the ground.

"Luca! No, no Luca. You're okay. Please baby," Liam mumbled to him as he held him in his arms.

Ben had seen what happened, and now had his face buried in my chest as he cried. I held him while I couldn't tear my eyes away from Liam and Luca.

"No, Luca. Don't leave me, baby," he whispered as he caressed his face gently while he held him close, Luca's body laid across his legs as he kneeled in the grass. The blood that seemed to pour from Luca's wound now covered Liam's front. Luca reached up, his small, blood covered hand caressing Liam's cheek for only a moment before slowly falling. Luca's head fell back as his body went limp, and I saw his eyes.

Open, but lifeless.

An enraged, gut wrenching yell of pain escaped Liam's mouth. He held his mate's body in his arms as tears began streaming down his face, partially washing away the bloody handprint Luca had left on his cheek.

"No!! No, Luca. Come back to me, baby, please. Please, Luca! Our children need you, I can't do this without you!" Liam begged, but it fell on deaf ears. I felt tears begin to slip from my own eyes.

Liam screamed again, the most broken, pained yell I've ever heard from my Beta. One hand flew to his neck, while the other still held his mate's body. I knew what it was. The mark Luca had left on his skin was burning away now. I had only heard of this, yet had never seen it. Liam let his hand down, holding Luca's body close as he cried more. The mark was bright red as it continued to burn away.

"I've got you, baby. I've got you," he whispered as he began smoothing Luca's blonde hair back, away from his face. His tears kept streaming from his eyes as he placed a kiss on Luca's lips, and pulled back. His eyes scanned across Luca's body. His lifeless eyes, the large gash across his throat, and the blood that covered the front of his body.

"Umma!" my head whipped toward the voice, seeing Griffin running toward Liam. Elle and Rowan had accompanied him, but stayed back in shock.

Griffin crashed to his knees in front of Liam. He grabbed Luca's face, searching for any sign of life. He looked over Liam's shoulder, seeing Luca's murderer. The dead man that lie on the ground, a bloodied dagger just inches from his hand.

Slowly, Griffin stood. He walked back to his mates, and cried silently as they embraced each other.

Liam pressed his forehead to Luca's as his breaths quickened. He was on the verge of hyperventilation.

I watched the scene, my heart aching. 

I felt Atlas whimpering.

No, Atlas. No.

Don't say it.

This can't be.

All I could do was hold Ben tighter as my wolf finally told me what I had suspected.

"Mate."