2-PDA & Americanos

Griffin

I groaned as I awoke to bright sunlight shining in through my bedroom window. The sound of melodic giggling came from downstairs and I rolled my eyes. Umma was likely laughing from my Dad being all over him. They did this everyday. I was grateful to have parents who loved each other, but it became sickening when I had to witness their PDA every day of my life. I could hear my little sister's shrill giggles follow Umma's.

Deep down, some part of me was slightly jealous, I suppose. Deep, deep down. Though I would never admit this out loud. There was a small part of my brain that constantly freaked about the potential of turning out like Grandpa. No mate, and having to turn to surrogacy for an heir. I shivered at the thought. He seemed happy with how his life turned out, though. 

I rolled out of bed and headed for the shower. After my morning routine, I walked downstairs. My family lives in the Beta's mansion, because my Dad is the Beta. It wasn't as large as the Alpha's mansion, but it was still more than we would ever truly need. One day it would be mine, when I take over as Beta. I would likely be the first mixed race Beta of the Sylvan Ash Pack. I smiled at the thought. My pack would be more than accepting of me, I knew. It's a very progressive pack; all thanks to Alpha Jackson, according to my parents.

"Hey, sweetie," my Umma greeted me as I walked into the kitchen. He set a plate of waffles down on the bar, where I took my seat. He returned to the kitchen counter where my Dad was standing, only to be grabbed by him. My Dad wrapped his arms around my Umma and began kissing his neck. Umma's giggles started up again. My baby sister, Amelia, squealed and slapped her high chair excitedly. I put my head in my hands with a groan.

"Guys, please," I mumbled into my palms. They both laughed.

"Sorry, bud," my Dad mumbled before he sat beside me at the bar.

"Ben and Jackson have invited us over for dinner. Beth and Mason will be there too," Umma told me as he fed Amelia tiny bites of waffles.

"Mm," I groaned in response.

"You get along with Mason, right?" Umma asked. I looked down at my plate. I did get along with Mason just fine. Something about him just confused me. I never understood why Jackson and Ben have always seemed to favor him over every other kid in the pack. I wasn't jealous, it was just... strange. I nodded in response to his question. 

"Very good. Then you won't mind picking up a few things for dinner? I told them we would bring dessert. Just get some cookies, cupcakes, or something like that," he told me.

"Yeah, sure," I mumbled in response. 

After breakfast, I grabbed my keys and headed out the door. I had a black Porsche 718 Cayman that I cherished deeply. It was a gift from my parents for my sixteenth birthday. I hopped in the driver's seat and sighed in satisfaction when I made the motor roar to life.

During the drive into town, I decided to stop in at a local coffee shop to get a drink before completing my parents' errands. Once I parked and walked inside, I didn't see anyone. No customers, and no employees. But just a few moments after the shrill ringing of the bell over the door, a middle aged woman appeared at the front counter.

"How can I help you, sir?" she asked with a smile.

"I'll take a small americano, please," I mumbled. After I paid, she told me to have a seat, and that she would have someone bring my drink to me. I nodded and sat at one of the small tables. I looked around the coffee shop. It had a warm feel to it overall, despite the cold breeze and grey sky outside. I took a deep breath and noticed a smell of citrus and berries. I salivated at the scent, and wondered what pastries they had here that could be giving off such a mouth watering smell.

"Americano?" A sharp, lilting voice pulled me from my thoughts. I looked up to see a girl walking toward me. She was short, with flowing hair the color of the sun that was pulled back in a half ponytail. Her striking blue eyes were surrounded by long lashes. Her thick, brown eyebrows sat perfectly above her eyes, with a beautifully straight nose, and cheekbones so sharp they looked as if they could cut me. As she was standing so close tome, I realized the scent I had smelled before wasn't pastries. It was her. She looked as taken aback by the sight of me as I was by her. I finally found my voice.

"Uh, yeah," I responded. She slowly extended her hand with the cup in it, and I reached forward to grab it. Out fingers barely grazed, causing sparks to explode across my body at the contact. She let out a small gasp and stepped back. She must have felt it too. 

She is our mate.

My wolf whispered in my head. I almost choked on the air.

"Umm, my name's Griffin," I told her. She grinned up at me.

"Elle," she told me. Her voice was so sweet to my ears. 

"It's nice to mate- meet  you, Elle." I cursed at myself in my head for the slip up. She giggled softly.

"You too, Griffin," she said before turning around and walking to the back of the coffee shop. I stood watching her, dumbfounded. Finally, I found my footing and walked outside to my car.

Once I was sitting in the driver's seat, I contemplated life for a few moments before taking a sip of the coffee. I couldn't hold back the moan that came out once the warm liquid hit my tongue.

This is the best coffee I've ever tasted in my life.

Because mate made it. Jeong told me.

I smiled to myself, and began the drive back home. About halfway there, after daydreaming about Elle's golden hair and icy blue eyes, I realized I hadn't even done what Umma asked me to do. I groaned and turned around. 

This is going to be a long day.